struggles defending the run can be traced back to losing f

in Spam Area!!! 05.11.2019 09:10
von mary123 | 2.355 Beiträge

LOS ANGELES -- Nneka Ogwumike grew up as part of a dazzling hps sister act with her sibling, Chiney.But since coming to the Sparks, her pairing with Candace Parker has helped Ogwumike win the leagues MVP award and has Los Angeles a victory away from a WNBA title.Its like I have another sister now, Ogwumike said after the Sparks 92-75 victory over Minnesota on Friday in Game 3 of the WNBA Finals. Ive learned so much from her, and I think shes learned from me.We play through our mistakes together, were always communicating, were switching people on defense. Were that voice in each others head that really gets us going. Thats the relationship weve developed.Ogwumike actually has three younger sisters, including Connecticut Sun star and former Stanford teammate Chiney, but Parker has been like her older sister. Since Ogwumike was drafted No. 1 by the Sparks in 2012 -- Parker was the top pick in 2008 -- weve watched this duo develop. Friday was an exceptional showcase of just how much this tandem means to the Sparks.In a game in which the Sparks aggression and energy were exactly what they hoped for, the table was set for Parker and Ogwumike to feast. Parker had 24 points and nine rebounds, Ogwumike 21 and nine. They were a combined 19-of-33 from the field and helped Los Angeles win the board battle 29-24 for just the second time in the teams six meetings this season.Theyre our team, said Sparks guard Alana Beard of the post duo, although she had a heck of a game herself with 15 points and a game-high seven assists. Theyre two different players who make each other better. I think Game 2 was a prime example of what happens when they dont play in sync. And tonight was an example of when they do.Nneka does all the little things, and Candace is one of the best all-around players in the game. So it works.It sure did Friday, and the Lynx were not able to do much to stop it.Its absolutely all on the want-to of Nneka Ogwumike and Candace Parker to start the game, Lynx coach Cheryl Reeve said. And then [Essence] Carson and Beard throughout the game. Their want-to was on 10, which is exactly where you would expect it to be.They won the persistency battle. We didnt rise to the occasion. We were soft. Did I see that coming? Absolutely not. It was disappointing, to say the least.Parker and Ogwumike are such a 1-2 punch, though, that they can knock the stuffing out of other teams. Even a team with three championships like Minnesota.The Sparks havent won a WNBA title since 2002; Parker was 16 years old then and Ogwumike 12. Parker won two NCAA titles while at Tennessee; Ogwumike led Stanford to the Final Four each of her four seasons but didnt win a championship.Once they were together with the Sparks, they knew they could help each other to a title. But it would take collaboration and flexibility from both. Parker, as great a player as she is, can get lost in her own ruminating sometimes and tend toward pessimism. Ogwumike, by contrast, could be president for life of the lk on the sunny side club.They balance each other really well, Beard said. Nneka is the one whos always going to be optimistic in everything. Candace is more of a thinker who will analyze everything.Parkers analysis of her own performance in the first two games of this series was pull-no-punches brutal.I was nonexistent until this game, Parker said. Even the first game, we squeaked it out with Alanas buzzer-beater, but I wasnt effective.Thats harsh. Parker had 14 points, nine rebounds and three assists in the Sparks 78-76 victory in Game 1. But she was disappointed that she didnt have more of an impact in the fourth quarter. And disappointed doesnt even begin to describe her evaluation of her 3-of-12 struggle for six points, with four rebounds, in Tuesdays 79-60 loss.I had to lk myself in the mirror; thats not what I want to give, Parker said. I still need to be aggressive for my team, even when things arent going my way. My teammates told me, and my coach told me.Thats where I think this team is special: Were able to be honest with each other because we know its coming from a gd place.Parker said the bond she has with Ogwumike was particularly strengthened by the difficulties the team went through in 2014, when coach Carol Ross was fired in late July after 22 games, and general manager Penny Toler tk over on the sidelines. Los Angeles finished 16-18 and got swept in the Western Conference semifinals by eventual champion Phoenix.The Sparks had been expecting so much more that season, and it was crushing to them to have not come closer to reaching their potential. Brian Agler tk over as coach for 2015, and Parker sat out the first part of the season to rest. But once she returned, things really began to click. The Sparks lost 2-1 in the conference semifinals to Minnesota last year, but the seeds were sown for this season when they went 26-8 and had the second-best record behind the Lynx.Ogwumike had the best season of her young career and won the MVP award. Her rise to the most elite level of the WNBA didnt stir any sibling rivalry with Parker, a two-time MVP herself. In fact, no one was happier than Parker, who says of Ogwumikes zest for playing, I really respect her. That girl never stops.As Beard said, Parker and Ogwumike have cultivated some of their own best qualities in each other.I definitely feel I am a little more fierce now because of her, Ogwumike said. And I think my lking at the bright side of things ... is something that I hope has rubbed off on her. When we tap into those things, on and off the court, its really awesome. Cheap NMD For Sale . As he recorded his 23rd and 24th points of the evening, a segment of the sellout Air Canada Centre crowd expressed their appreciation for the Raptors point guard with a smattering of MVP chants. Adidas NMD XR1 For Sale . "Trying to breathe," he said with a grin. Bernier stopped 42 of 43 shots on Monday night, including all 22 in a hectic middle frame, his heroic performance propelling the Leafs toward an undue point in their final game before the Christmas break. http://www.cheapnmdonline.com/wholesale-adidas-nmd-human-race-china.html . -- Claudio Bieler hadnt scored since early September, and not from the run of play since mid-July. Fake NMD R2 . It was just business as usual for the Thunder at home. Durant scored 32 points and the Thunder beat the Bulls 107-95 on Thursday night for their eighth straight win. Adidas NMD Wholesale China .Y. - General manager Billy King says the Brklyn Nets are lking to add a big man and confirmed the team worked out centre Jason Collins, who would become the first openly gay active NBA player if signed. SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- The 49ers are growing tired of answering questions about their lowest-ranked run defense that allowed 100-yard rushers in seven straight games, which had never been done before.We know what the problems are. We just need to fix them, 49ers linebacker Michael Wilhoite said.Fixing bad tackling and missed assignments wont get any easier Sunday in Arizona. San Francisco is tasked with slowing down the NFLs total yardage leader in running back David Johnson.The last time these team teams played, Johnson became the fourth consecutive running back to eclipse the century mark against the 49ers, running for 157 yards and two touchdowns in a 33-21 victory Oct. 6.Johnson, in his second season, has 1,112 yards from scrimmage through eight games, putting him on pace for more than 2,200. Thats been done by 13 running backs since 2000.I think hes got a unique presence, 49ers coach Chip Kelly said. You dont see a guy with that size that has that athletic ability.The Cardinals have gotten creative with their emerging star by utilizing him in the passing game. Hes second on the team with 35 receptions and 407 yards receiving, behind only Larry Fitzgerald.A lot of different teams throw the ball to their running back, but this guys actually a wide receiver also, 49ers linebacker Eli Harold said. Most guys are a decoy. But they actually have plays designed to get him the ball, so you got to account where he is all the time.Johnson, a third-round pick in 2015, initially went to Northern Iowa as a receiver before adding 20 pounds of muscle to make the transition to running back. But he didnt lse the speed or route-running chops that helped him become a premier dual threat.ddddddddddddHe can run a route tree as a receiver out there, said Kelly. I think thats what makes him such a unique guy to defend and probably one of the most versatile backs that well face.Johnson and the Cardinals (3-4-1) are coming off their bye, while the 49ers (1-7) tk their seventh straight loss, 41-23 to the Saints last weekend.Despite the 49ers pace toward becoming the fourth team since the merger to allow more than 3,000 yards rushing, Arizona coach Bruce Arians thinks San Francisco is making small improvements.The 49ers struggles defending the run can be traced back to losing four-time All-Pro NaVorro Bowman to a torn Achilles tendon in Week 4.When you lose leaders, its very hard. The guys that rally the huddle, Arians said. But I still think, I see them getting better. Its a play here and a play there rather than a bunch of plays.By the end of the season, theyre going to be somebody to reckon with.Game notes 49ers WR Torrey Smith (back) returned to practice Wednesday after missing Tuesdays session . . . Kelly said DT Arik Armstead is expected to have surgery to repair his left shoulder within the week. Armstead was placed on injured reserve Tuesday . . . RB Carlos Hyde continues to practice in a non-contact jersey after sustaining a shoulder injury Oct. 16. He hasnt appeared in a game since.---For more NFL coverage: http://www.pro32.ap.org and http://www.twitter.com/AP-NFL ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Besucherzähler
Heute waren 165 Gäste online.

Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 5840 Themen und 24610 Beiträge.

Heute waren 0 Mitglieder Online:

Xobor Xobor Forum Software
Einfach ein eigenes Forum erstellen