Goodson said. Its going to be definitely a team game to try to stop h

in Bewerbung 29.04.2019 10:16
von mary123 | 2.355 Beiträge

WILLOWBRK, Ill. -- With one out in the first inning of the National League Championship Series Game 5 on Thursday night, Gail Schuster shuffled to the end of her motorized wheelchair, sat up as straight as she possibly could and began yelling at the flat-screen television a few feet in front of her.Hurry up! Schuster beckoned. Oh hurry up! Please hurry up!Half a country away, Chicago Cubs leadoff man Dexter Fowler was attempting to score from first base on a double into the right-field corner by Anthony Rizzo. And the 75-year-old Schuster, confined to a wheelchair for more than a half-century due to a rare bone disease, couldnt watch quietly without begging Fowler home.Hurry! she kept repeating.As Fowler rounded third, a flip phone in the Cubs bag draped over the arm of Schusters wheelchair began to buzz. CALL FROM 2-0-7... Schuster ignored it, waiting until Fowler crossed the plate, Rizzo was safely at second and her beloved Cubs had a 1-0 first-inning lead to pick up.Hello? she said to a caller who probably should have known better. Im watching the game.It was a scene surely repeated in living rms, hospital rms and nursing homes around the country. Elderly Cubs fans, in the late innings of their lives, starting to believe what was once unthinkable: the Chicago Cubs playing in their first World Series since 1945.You always think its going to go the same way it always does -- they freeze up, Schuster said. A couple nights ago, thats what it lked like, very much timid and afraid. But now theyve come together.There were so many years they fell apart, I never thought it would happen, added David Baker, like Schuster a resident at Chateau Center in Chicagos southwest suburbs. But maybe this is the year.At 88 years old, Baker admits that his long-term memory is a far cry from what it once was, not entirely a bad thing for a lifelong Cubs fan. Baker says he doesnt remember the collapse of 69, the ground ball rolling through Leon Durhams legs in 1984 or the crushing Game 6 of the 2003 NLCS.Steve Bartman? Baker asks. I have no idea who that is.Schuster, on the other hand, remembers all the heartbreak. But she wouldnt have it any other way. The Cubs have always been there for her, so until the day she dies she will return the favor. A self-described die-hard, she has listened to or watched nearly every Cubs game since she was a teenager and health issues forced her to drop out of schl in the seventh grade and confined her to a wheelchair at the age of 21. On her darkest, most depressed days, she would turn to Ernie Banks, Ron Santo and Billy Williams to lift her spirits.I fought that wheelchair the entire time. I didnt want it, she said. But every day I lked forward to the ballgame. My mom would get hot dogs, potato chips and a Coke and I would watch them and listen to Jack Brickhouse. It helped me get through a lot of hard days.No matter what was going on, the Cubs became a constant for me. They were always there. And as I became older it was a bridge to talk to people and meet people.Schuster made her first trip to Wrigley Field in 2007 and says she has been there about six times since. Today, Schuster has no surviving family. She was never able to have children and was an only child. But in the halls of Chateau Center she has built a reputation as the biggest of Cubs fans.Night games arent exactly easy for the elderly. As Thursday nights Game 5 began, most of the other residents of Chateau Center were either in bed or on their way there. Yet there was Schuster, in the nursing homes media rm, barking at the TV with the passion of someone 50 years younger.Of course I stay up and watch, Shuster explained. I dont get up at 6 a.m. like a lot of these people do. I just sleep til 10.Ninety-year-old Bobby Clark quietly watched the first two innings with Schuster before fading and heading back to his rm. He planned on reading about the game in Friday mornings newspaper. I read it every day, he said.Two other Cubs fans, Baker and 86-year-old Joe Zahradnik, hung around the media rm for pregame but called it a night before Fowler had even scored in the first. Said Zahradnik: I can only watch day games. And Baker: Ill find out in the morning if we won.But there was Schuster, starting her night in the media rm and ending it in her bedrm, glued to the Cubs game all the way until the final out. Through the course of the night, she revealed that Kris Bryant is cute and she admires Addison Russells baby face. He lks like its t late at night for him to be out, she said. In the NLCS, shes quickly grown a dislike for the Dodgers?Adrian Gonzalez. He just seems so nasty to me. When Gonzalez struck out to end the first inning and chirped to the umpire afterward, she made note. See what I mean? she said. Hes just so intimidating. You dont need to act that way. And she was less than pleased with L.A.s baserunners jumping off first base in an effort to distract Cubs left-hander Jon Lester. I cant believe the way they are acting, she said. Its so ignorant.Schuster believes this is the Cubs year because they are no longer led by aging veterans and instead have such a young, talented core. We used to always get players at the end when they were limping on the field, she said. I dont know why we would buy them. But this new guy, Theo [Epstein], hes done some great changes.Schusters bedrm features a Cubs blanket and she regularly drinks from a Cubs mug. Wrapped around her left wrist is a Cubs bracelet and strategically positioned on her nightstand are a pair of Cubs rings that she would prefer others dont touch. She insists she isnt superstitious, yet when she found out the daughter of another resident works in Guest Services at Wrigley Field, she gave the woman a miniature plush goat that said curse breaker on it to take to the ballpark during the division series against the Giants.It worked, she said. They won.But now comes the real test. Up 3-2 in the series and headed back to Wrigley Field, the Cubs stand at the same point they did 13 years earlier against the Florida Marlins. But this time, Schuster, Clark, Baker, Zahradnik and elderly Cubs fans all across Chicago believe the outcome will be different. They have no choice. Their time is running out. They need the Cubs to beat the Dodgers and go on to win the World Series this year.And when they do?A beer, Zahradnik said. A very gd beer.I will probably order a pizza, Schuster said. That would be such a great way to celebrate. Spinach, mushrms and black olives. Yum.Baker has other thoughts.Ill celebrate quietly, the 88-year-old said. At this age, I dont need to be loud. Nike Air Max Danmark Billig .C. -- Al Jefferson joked that he feels he can score from anywhere on the court. Nike Air Max Danmark . The 17-year-old native of Marystown, N.L., pulled out of Skate Canada International last month in Saint John, N.B., with the same problem. http://www.danmarkairmax.com/ . Ouellette, from Montreal, already has three Olympic gold medals since joining the team in 1999. Nike Air Max Tilbud . The native of Mont-Tremblant, Que., captured a World Cup downhill event Saturday, his second this year and fifth career victory on the circuit. Nike Air Max Tilbud Danmark . 10 Texas A&Ms offence dominated as usual against SMU. GREEN BAY, Wis. -- As the Green Bay Packers went back to work Tuesday after an extended break, they started to prepare for a big matchup with a diminished secondary.Coach Mike McCarthy announced Tuesday that cornerback Damarious Randall, who had been sidelined with a groin injury, underwent surgery and is out this week.The timing couldnt be any worse with the NFC South-leading Atlanta Falcons and their potent passing attack, led by quarterback Matt Ryan and playmaking receiver Julio Jones, up next.Thats just the way things go, Packers cornerback Demetri Gdson said. If you lk at every single team in the league, theyre beat up from top to bottom. So thats just the way it goes.The Packers must try to slow down Jones without their top two and possibly top three cornerbacks from the start of the season.Veteran Sam Shields is on injured reserve after not playing since the Sept. 11 season opener, when he suffered a concussion.Randall didnt play Green Bays most recent game, a win over the Chicago Bears on Thursday night, after he reinjured his groin four days earlier.A similar injury has kept Quinten Rollins from playing the past two games.Rollins status is up in the air for Sundays game at Atlanta.The second-year pro said Tuesday that although he feels a sense of urgency to get back on the field and bolster Green Bays depleted depth at cornerback, he wants to avoid risking further injury.Obviously, you want to go out and compete against the best, but at the same time, you cant let who youre playing dictate your body or how you feel, Rollins said.Minus Rollins, that would probably mean a second straight game for the young tandem of LaDarius Gunter and Demetri Gdson as well as versatile fourth-year player Micah Hyde as the teams primary cornerbacks.Green Bay also has played undraftted rkie Josh Hawkins.dddddddddddd And the Packers added another player to their banged-up secondary by promoting first-year safety Jermaine Whitehead from the practice squad Monday.Gdson said hes preparing this week as though Rollins wont play against the Falcons.If he does, great, Gdson said. But if not, then well definitely be ready.And as Gdson sees it, more than one player is going to be needed for the Packers to have success against the talented Jones, who leads the NFL with 830 receiving yards in just seven games.Jones had 11 catches for 259 yards and a touchdown when the Packers last played Atlanta in 2014, a 43-37 Green Bay win at Lambeau Field.With a guy like him, theres not one guy that you can just put on him and just shut him down, Gdson said. Its going to be definitely a team game to try to stop him because hes a great player.Mixing strength and speed with tremendous size, the 6-ft-3, 220-pound Jones also ranks No. 1 in the league with an average of 20.8 yards per catch and 16 receptions of 20 or more yards.The Packers have allowed 21 completions of at least 20 yards in their six games.Julio is just a freak of nature on film, defensive end/linebacker Datone Jones said. Hes a beast.NOTE: RB Don Jackson hopes to get back on the field later this week. The undrafted rkie suffered an injury to his left hand in the first half of his debut Thursday. He wore a therapeutic glove on the hand Tuesday, saying he still had some swelling, but that tests didnt reveal a fracture. They gave me this glove so I could calm it down, and its already lking better, Jackson said.---Online:AP NFL website: www.pro32.ap.org and www.twitter.com/AP-NFL ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Besucherzähler
Heute waren 12 Gäste online.

Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 5840 Themen und 24610 Beiträge.

Heute waren 0 Mitglieder Online:

Xobor Xobor Forum Software
Einfach ein eigenes Forum erstellen