up.Three other British swimmers failed to make finals, w

in Bewerbung 05.03.2019 08:34
von mary123 | 2.355 Beiträge

BRISTOL, Conn. -- Theres a quiet, reserved manner in which UFC heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic carries himself that lies in perfect contrast with his reputation as a feared slugger inside the Octagon.I dont think that I have any swagger, he said. Thats the problem. I just like to fight. I just like to do my thing and walk out.Miocic (15-2) visited ESPN headquarters Tuesday to discuss his first title defense, which takes place Saturday at UFC 203 against Alistair Overeem at Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland, Ohio.The demands of media at this level are relatively new for Miocic, 34, who despite steadily climbing the UFC ladder in recent years remains a newcomer to the spotlight after knocking out Fabricio Werdum with one punch in May at UFC 198 in Brazil to capture the title.While Miocic admits hes getting better at handling the attention, he wouldnt go as far as saying that it comes naturally for him.Honestly, I just like fighting, he said. I honestly dont like the media and stuff like that. Its not that you guys are mean or anything, Im just not that gd at talking. I talk a lot and talk fast and mumble a lot. I just get real nervous in front of a camera, and I cant be myself.Its interesting to imagine a 6-ft-4, 245-pound man with Miocics power feeling less nervous fighting in front of millions inside a cage than when hes answering questions on a television set. But as Miocic likes to say, thats his job.Im always nervous walking into the cage, but Ive been doing it for so long that its just business, Miocic said. I want to go out there and do my job. Ive been training for it much t long to go in there scared. Im nervous and everything, but once the Octagon dr closes, its game on.The last four months have been life-changing for Miocic, who won the title in May and got married to his girlfriend, Ryan, one month later. Along the way, he played a major part in the resurgence of the sports landscape in Cleveland, a short drive from where he was raised in the suburb of Euclid, Ohio.Miocics win over Werdum happened on the same night the ESPN 30 for 30 film Believeland made its debut, chronicling the 50-year title drought in the city of Cleveland. Sn after, the Cavaliers rallied to win an NBA title. Miocic appeared in the teams parade and became a spokesman of sorts for the citys new championship identity.It has been an amazing whirlwind, Miocic said. Its what Cleveland needed.But Miocic said he isnt worried about his homecoming narrative entering Saturdays fight, admitting it will be no different than if he were training in Brazil with no one worrying about him. His lone focus is to guarantee he exits the cage with the title he has yet to defend.Considering the recent climate in the UFC this year, with one upset after another in title fights, Miocics concern makes sense. Theres also the promotions history in the heavyweight division, where no champion has ever made more than two consecutive title defenses.Miocic said he believes he is only scratching the surface of his potential and admits to having extra motivation to prove people wrong.I think a lot of people underestimate me, Miocic said. I think they see me, and they dont think that Im that gd of a fighter. But then I shut people up, which Im gd at doing.Despite headlining Saturdays card, Miocic will be sharing the bill in a way with former WWE star Phil CM Punk Brks, who makes his long-awaited UFC debut against?Mickey Gall in a welterweight bout on the pay-per-view main card.Miocic has heard the naysayers who have questioned whether an entertainer such as Brks should get the push into a prominent slot on the card, but he said he doesnt agree with them.I hope he goes out there and shocks a lot of people, Miocic said. I can tell he has put in his time and effort. It is what it is. If people dont like him because hes a WWE guy and is getting a fast track, well guess what? Its part of what makes the sport more popular.He has put in the time, and now its time to fight. I give him all of the credit.Miocic said he has equal respect for Overeem (41-14), whom he calls an amazing fighter with experience facing the best fighters in the world.Hes an amazing kickboxer, hes gd on the ground and hes strong, Miocic said. Hes real savvy and a veteran. But Ive seen a lot of things where he makes mistakes. We all make mistakes and have flaws. But he hasnt faced someone like me yet.Even while delivering quotes that are filled with tough guy imagery, Miocic has a way of retaining his calm, everyman feel. Its no surprise, considering he hasnt quit his day job as a firefighter and paramedic in Ohio despite becoming the UFC heavyweight champion.Miocic might bring a blue-collar feel to the term baddest man on the planet, a title typically reserved for the heavyweight champion of any combat discipline, but make no mistake -- theres dynamite in his fists. Miocic said he expects nothing but action when he stands across the cage from Overeem.There will definitely be fireworks between us, Miocic said. It will be a great fight, but Im going to walk out [and hear], And still, with the belt wrapped around my waist. kiestore.com/Cardinals-Bob-Gibson-Kids-Jersey/" target="_blank">Bob Gibson Jersey . The catch: It needs a lot of money, and it needs it fast. kiestore.com/Cardinals-Miles-Mikolas-Kids-Jersey/" target="_blank">Miles Mikolas Jersey . After Mondays hard-fought loss, the wait seemed longer than usual. Getting set to go their separate ways for a short Christmas break, the Raptors coach credited his team for their effort on a seemingly impossible three-game road trip, urging them to build on that success when they get back to work at the end of the week. kiestore.com/Cardinals-Chris-Carpenter-Kids-Jersey/" target="_blank">http://www.cardinalsrkiestore.com/Cardinals-Chris-Carpenter-Kids-Jersey/ . PAUL, Minn. kiestore.com/Cardinals-Mike-Matheny-Kids-Jersey/" target="_blank">Mike Matheny Jersey . Walcott is available for Saturdays home match against Southampton as Arsenal lks to extend its two-point lead at the top of the Premier League. The Gunners are currently the second highest scorers in the league but Wenger insists Walcott will add something extra to his team. kiestore.com/Cardinals-Whitey-Herzog-Kids-Jersey/" target="_blank">Whitey Herzog Jersey . Belfort (24-10) needed just 77 seconds to down Henderson in the headlining bout of Saturdays "UFC Fight Night: Belfort vs. Henderson" event at Goiania Arena in Goiania, Brazil. The fight served as a rematch of the pairs 2006 meeting, which Henderson won by decision. Jazz Carlin buried her Olympic pain in spectacular fashion by winning a silver medal in the womens 400 metres freestyle.The 25-year-old from Swansea was heartbroken after missing out on selection for London four years ago and had to watch from the stands. But only the invincible Katie Ledecky was able to better her in Rio as Carlin posted a second personal best of the day.Her time of 4 minutes 1.23 seconds was a second and a half quicker than her semifinal swim but still nowhere close to American Ledecky, who smashed her own world record by nearly two seconds.Carlin said: Four years ago I was in the stand cheering everyone on and now Ive actually been a part of the team and to come away with a silver medal, Im absolutely over the mn.Im so grateful to everyone at home thats been supporting us and to get up and watch us at ridiculous hours of the morning.I just wanted to come here and give it absolutely everything and have no regrets. Sometimes when you get out of a swim you think, Oh, I have a little bit left, or I wish Id done that a bit better.But I knew I was going to go in and give it absolutely everything and to put myself in the race first instead of always trailing behind trying to catch up. I thought Im going to absolutely go for it and see what happens.British swimming has never known a 10 minutes like it, with Carlins swim coming immediately after Adam Peatys stunning gold and world record in the 100m breaststroke. Carlin said: I was in the call rm watching Adam and I had gsebumps on the blocks really. To see someone whos your friend, your teammate achieve a world record, become an Olympic champion right before my swim definitely got me pumped up.For me to come away with a silver is pretty special but just a great night for GB in the pl. Weve got a great team here and hopefully we can keep the mommentum up for the rest of the week and inspire the rest of the team because weve got some great chances.ddddddddddddGoing into the meet, James Guy appeared to be one of those chances but the 200m freestyle world champion only just scraped into the final. The 20-year-old from Bury finished sixth in the 400m final on Saturday and this race followed a similar pattern, with Guy leading early on in the semifinal but fading.His time was more than a second slower than the mark he set in winning the title in Kazan. Guy said: Its nice to have that title but its tomorrow nights final and everyones forgotten about last year, its all about this year now.I felt pretty gd in warm-up this morning and tonight but I think I might have given it t much t early. I was sweating through to the back end a bit but hopefully Ill see it through for tomorrow nights final.Ive just got to swim my own race. Im not t sure about the time but I know if Im fighting for places Ill never be giving up.Three other British swimmers failed to make finals, with Georgia Davies and Chris Walker-Hebborn finishing 10th and 11th respectively in the 100m backstroke semifinals while Chloe Tutton was 13th in the 100m breaststroke.Michael Phelps made his first appearance of the Games and came away with a gold medal along with his USA teammates in the 4x100m freestyle relay. It tk Phelps remarkable tally to 23 Olympic medals, 19 of them gold.Swedens Sarah Sjostrom set a world record of 55.48 seconds to win the womens 100m butterfly, bettering her own mark. Controversial Russian Yulia Efimova was again bed before and after winning her semifinal in the 100m breaststroke and goes into the final as the second-fastest qualifier. ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Besucherzähler
Heute waren 299 Gäste online.

Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 5840 Themen und 24610 Beiträge.

Heute waren 0 Mitglieder Online:

Xobor Xobor Forum Software
Einfach ein eigenes Forum erstellen