were headed in the right direction." N

in Bewerbung 05.03.2019 08:33
von mary123 | 2.355 Beiträge

Alabamas Avery Johnson and Auburns Bruce Pearl have taken their basketball programs into recruiting territory more commonly occupied by the schls ftball teams: The top 10.Both their latest classes include five-star prospects and are currently ranked among the nations best collections of incoming talent, even if the teams remain a long way from that kind of high ranking. The Crimson Tide beat out more tradition-rich programs like Kansas to pull point guard Collin Sexton out of Mableton, Georgia, and got Huntsville, Alabamas John Petty over Kentucky.The Tigers landed five-star center Austin Wiley, a longtime commitment whose parents both played basketball for Auburn. Its perhaps another indication of a culture change within the programs that both coaches think got started with their respective hirings and renewed efforts to lure fans back to the arenas and drum up excitement.The best way to sustain that is beefing up the talent, which both have done.We think maybe some of the kids that didnt take our (Alabamas) phone calls years ago, at least they are taking our calls now, Johnson said. If theyre taking our calls, and we can eventually get them on campus, we think weve got a great shot.Alabamas five-player class was ranked No. 3 nationally by Scout and Rival on Wednesday, the final day of the early signing period. Auburns three-player group was ranked fourth by Scout and sixth by Rivals.Its a change from previous years when many top recruits left the state, including DeMarcus Cousins and Eric Bledsoe, who had stopovers at Kentucky on their way to the NBA.Johnson and Pearl have brought the players in but are still seeking the wins.Entering Johnsons second year and Pearls third, the next couple of seasons will tell how much recruiting successes the past two years will translate into success on the court. Pearl thinks there could be a reprisal of the days when Alabamas Wimp Sanderson and Auburns Sonny Smith regularly had their teams in the NCAA Tournament.I hope we can see a time (like) when Wimp Sanderson and Sonny Smith were at Alabama and Auburn, Pearl said. Avery and I are at Alabama and Auburn; and hes coached well and theyve recruited really well. Yeah, I can see that being a factor. I can see that contest that we play, the Iron Bowl in basketball, being on ESPN or maybe being on CBS. Wouldnt that be a culture change?Auburn has sold out season tickets in each of his first three seasons, a first for the program. An injury-plagued 11-20 second season didnt derail the momentum on the recruiting trail, where freshman Mustapha Heron became Auburns first five-star signee.Wiley is the second. The 6-ft-11, 255-pounder was ranked among the top 17 recruits nationally by several recruiting services. His mother, Vickie Orr, was an Auburn All-American, and father Aubrey Wiley led the SEC in rebounding in 1993-94.Redshirt freshman Danjel Purifoy, another highly rated recruit last year, said the allure is simple.Its just BP, man, said Purifoy, who wasnt cleared academically by the NCAA to play last season. BP is a gd coach. He did some gd things at Tennessee. When he came here, everybody wanted to be here. When I signed here, Mustapha came here, Horace (Spencer) came here and now we have one of the best recruiting classes in basketball right now.Evan Daniels, Scouts national director of recruiting, said both coaches have brought in strong staffs with gd recruiting connections. That group includes former Alabama point guard Antoine Pettway and ex-Auburn All-American and NBA player and coach Chuck Person.The head coaches also carried bigger names than most of their predecessors. Johnson is a former NBA point guard and head coach, while Pearl has led 17 teams to NCAA Tournaments, mostly at Tennessee.They both appear to be recruiting at unprecedented levels at this point, Daniels said.---More AP college basketball: www.collegebasketball.ap.org Cheap Adidas Shoes China .500 on the season. The Jets are now 0-5-1 in the second game of back-to-backs. The game started the same way the Vancouver game started the night before, with the Jets taking the first two penalties of the game and killing off the first, but the Oilers getting on the board first, scoring on the second man-advantage. Authentic Adidas Shoes Sale . Aaron Harrison scored a 22 points for Kentucky (6-1), which has won four in a row following a Nov. 12 loss to current No. 1 Michigan State. Julius Randle overcame a scoreless first half and added his sixth double-double in as many games with 14 points and 10 rebounds. http://www.discountadidasshoes.com/ . Aaron Harrison scored a 22 points for Kentucky (6-1), which has won four in a row following a Nov. 12 loss to current No. 1 Michigan State. Julius Randle overcame a scoreless first half and added his sixth double-double in as many games with 14 points and 10 rebounds. Cheap Adidas Shoes . Defencemen Drew Doughty, Shea Weber and forward Ryan Getzlaf also scored for the Canadians, who started their gold-medal defence 2-0. Goalie Roberto Luongo, getting the call in place of Game 1 starter Carey Price, was solid when needed in making 23 saves for the shutout. Cheap Authentic Adidas Shoes . Thats not a comment on the suspension that banished the Portland Winterhawks general manager and coach from his Western Hockey League teams bench for most of the 2012-13 season.MIAMI -- Marcell Ozuna has given the Miami Marlins big hits and some hope for the future. The 22-year-old rkie outfielder drove in two runs to help the Marlins to a 4-2 win over the Minnesota Twins on Tuesday night in interleague play. "Hes put together a lot of great at-bats, big at-bats, and he did again tonight," Marlins manager Mike Redmond said. Ozuna is hitting .438 (21 for 4 with runners in scoring position, driving in 22 runs for the last-place Marlins. "Just going to home plate and thinking, see the ball up a little bit and if its in the middle, swing or if its away and up, swing no matter what," Ozuna said. Derek Dietrich also provided some offence with a home run for the Marlins, who have won four of five. A.J. Ramos (2-2) pitched two scoreless innings in relief and Steve Cishek worked the ninth for his 13th save. Minnesota dropped its third game in the last four. "It wasnt our night," Twins manager Rod Gardenhire said. "We left some pitches up in the zone late. Every time we did, they seemed to whack it. We also made three errors. You dont win t many games when you make three errors whether it costs you runs or not." Miami starter Jose Fernandez allowed one run and four hits in five innings. The 20-year-old phenom struck out three and walked three while throwing 94 pitches, 59 for strikes. "He kept us in it," Redmond said. "You think about a young kid who didnt really have his best stuff, but still was pretty impressive out there and made pitches when he absolutely needed to. Thats the kind of guy he is." Fernandez is 2-1 with a 1.67 ERA in five June starts. "I wanted to keep pitching, but my stuff wasnt there today and I agree with the decision," Fernandez said. Minnesotas Justin Morneau appeared to line into a double play to end the eighth, but first baseman Logan Morrison dropped the throw, allowing Joe Mauer to remain on base. Two batters later, Trevor Plouffe tk advantage of Morrisons error with an RBI single, scoring Mauer to cut the deficit to 3-2. Ozunas RBI double in the bottom f the eighth after Morrison doubled pushed the lead to 4-2.dddddddddddd "Im really proud of (Ozuna) and surprised hes doing so well especially driving in tough runs," Morrison said. Cishek retired the Twins in order in the ninth. Josh Willinghams RBI single in the third opened the scoring for Minnesota. Kevin Correia (6-5) held the Marlins scoreless through five innings before running into trouble in the sixth. After Ed Lucas singled and Giancarlo Stanton walked, Morrison singled to load the bases. Ozuna singled to centre, scoring Lucas as centre fielder Clete Thomas bobbled the ball, also allowing Stanton to score for a 2-1 lead. "I felt I made one bad pitch that inning and that was enough to give up a couple of runs," Correia said. Correia allowed two runs and five hits in six innings after beating the Marlins on April 23. Brian Duensing relieved Correia and yielded a home run to Dietrich, his seventh, for a 3-1 advantage. It was a rare home run as Duensing had not surrendered one in his previous 48 appearances and Dietrich was hitless in 17 at-bats before the homer. "He made a simple adjustment for that at-bat," Redmond said. "He couldnt find his elbow guard and I told him, Well, dont wear the elbow guard and he hit a home run. Then the next time he had the elbow guard on and I said, Take the elbow guard off and he still got out, but I think were headed in the right direction." NOTES: Morrison has five multi-hit games in 11 games since returning from the disabled list. ... Twins RHP Mike Pelfrey was placed on the 15-day disabled list Sunday retroactive to June 19, but Gardenhire believes the break will benefit Pelfrey, who missed last season with Tommy John surgery. "This is probably a gd time of the season to take a step back, miss a couple of starts," Gardenhire said. "He told me hes probably 90 per cent right now, so believe me, he wont miss much work." ... Minnesota will send LHP Scott Diamond (5-6, 5.27 ERA) to the mound in the Wednesday afternn finale against RHP Tom Koehler (1-5, 4.65 ERA). ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Besucherzähler
Heute waren 211 Gäste online.

Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 5840 Themen und 24610 Beiträge.

Heute waren 0 Mitglieder Online:

Xobor Xobor Forum Software
Einfach ein eigenes Forum erstellen