competing on defense. Its just giving up the big plays. T

in Mitglieder 20.11.2019 11:41
von mary123 | 2.355 Beiträge

AUSTIN, Texas -- ?As Charlie Strong gets off an elevator near his office, a student recognizes him and wants to show the Texas coach a video. Its ftage of the cannon shting off from the 45-40 loss to Oklahoma last Saturday. Strong enthusiastically obliges and later runs into one of his walk-on players majoring in engineering and jokes, I sure didnt major in engineering.For a guy whos reportedly in serious trouble, Strong doesnt show it. He knows the stakes and knows that he probably will be in trouble if the Longhorns dont turn it around and suffer through a third straight losing season. But he also knows that spending any time wondering or fretting about whom may or may not be against him among Texas power brokers is useless.I said to somebody the other day that what we have going here is that the players are still with us, Strong told ESPN.com in a wide-ranging interview on Monday. Now, if we had the players complaining, wed be in trouble. And the parents, t. I get text upon text upon text from parents telling me to hang in there and that theyre praying for me and that their son came here to play for me.Its a lot more unified here than maybe some people have made it out to be. Were talented and were young, and weve got guys who can play. We just have to find a way to be more consistent, and were going to do that.In the face of three straight losses and swirling speculation that his third season at Texas could be his last, Strong doesnt flinch.Its not his style, never has been.He didnt flinch as a kid growing up in Batesville, Arkansas, when on some nights he would share a house with as many as 15 people. He didnt flinch during his defensive crdinator days at Florida when he kept getting passed over for head coaching jobs by less qualified candidates.And hes certainly not going to flinch now, even with a 13-17 record as Texas head coach and the restlessness and grumbling at one of college ftballs biggest fish bowls growing louder by the day ... and the loss.For the 56-year-old Strong, its business as usual. His blueprint and his vision havent wavered. Neither has his resolve.You stick to it, especially here, because if you dont, it will wear you down, he says.Unfortunately for him, his Monday each of the past three weeks has been the same, trying to explain a Texas loss and, more specifically, how the Longhorns suddenly cant stop anybody. Theyve given up at least 45 points in all three losses and a total of 1,734 yards.Its no secret that the specter of Houstons Tom Herman lms large in these parts. The fear among some Texas supporters is that Herman may be scped up by another schl if Texas doesnt act this year by cutting ties with Strong.Confronted with that scenario, Strong flashes his easy smile and shrugs. Sure, hes heard it -- more than once.At the same time, he also has been in touch with key bsters, as he has since he tk the job. More importantly, he knows which ones to call. Of course, at a place like Texas, one of the inherent problems is that everybody thinks hes a key bster, creating a very vocal and loud minority.Theres also a misnomer out there that Strong isnt engaged with some of the big-money Texas bsters. Just this summer, he attended a function at Roger Staubachs house in Horseshoe Bay with several prominent Texas donors.I know the guys to keep in touch with, and I do, Strong said. Theyve been great and always want to know if theres anything they can do to help. Now, I dont go to dinner with those guys, so Im not going to be seen in public with them. Im not a member of their country club and I dont play golf, so I dont go play golf with them. But I pick up the phone and call them, keep in touch.They want the same thing I do, to see this program continue to make strides.Strong said the notion that he has tucked away in his own ftball cocn and disengaged with everybody simply isnt true and a narrative that has been falsely planted.They also said we had no relationship with high schl coaches, and lk at the recruits weve been able to get in this state, Strong said. Its almost like everything they said we dont do, we do. Thats why you dont spend time fighting that stuff. We have enough to keep us busy.Like winning games, which ultimately will decide Strongs fate. Hes not na?ve. Even with the recruiting gains made on his watch, it would be difficult for him to survive if this season completely unravels. The Longhorns close out October with Iowa State at home this Saturday, then Kansas State on the road and Baylor back home.We need to finish strong, where were on an upswing, Strong said. We dont want to be going backward, and were not.Texas president Greg Fenves and athletic director Mike Perrin both came publicly last week in support of Strong. Dreaded votes of confidence or not, one of the things Strong has going for him is that Perrin is from the Darrell Royal tree, and many of Royals former players are influential and have expressed their support for Strong.But most important, at least with regard to turning this season around, is that the Texas players have remained staunchly behind Strong.What I lk at is we have a team thats making strides and not going backward, Strong said. Now, we havent won like we want to, but I lk at where were heading and know well get there because I believe in the kids so much that I know its going to happen.Strong was criticized for Texas lack of offense his first two seasons, and one of his mandates from fans was to bring in a quarterback for the future. Well, he has done that with freshman sensation Shane Buechele, who has thrown for 1,204 yards and 11 touchdowns.The problem now is on defense. The Longhorns have been scorched by the deep ball, and even with Strong taking over the defensive play-calling last week, the results were the same. Its true that you have to be equipped to win shtouts every week to contend in the Big 12, but Strong said the plan was never to sacrifice on defense to get there.I dont think we sacrificed anything, he said. What we have lost is giving up the big play. I dont think weve lost anything in terms of toughness or competing on defense. Its just giving up the big plays. Thats what is killing us right now, and thats what we have to get fixed.Strong has never been one to think t much about the what ifs in coaching.Its part of the business. People lose their jobs, he said.But in terms of the bigger picture, he admits theres a different sort of pressure to succeed at Texas that he holds near and dear to his heart. Its why he says softly, but with conviction, that he has to make it.I lk at it like this: A lot of African-Americans didnt get this opportunity, and now that I did get it, there are so many people counting on me to be successful, and not just African-Americans, but people who just never got a chance, Strong said. Sometimes, I think its bigger than me. I dont know why I think like this, but Ill be lying in bed at night thinking, Theres another minority out there who wants to be the CEO of IBM, and if Im successful here, will that success help that guy go be the CEO of IBM or go run a hospital?You lk at Texas and lk at how big the Texas job is, and nobody wants to win more than I do. But if that opens up drs for others, thats a win for a lot of people. Terry Francona Indians Jersey . The 17-year-old native of Marystown, N.L., pulled out of Skate Canada International last month in Saint John, N.B., with the same problem. Sandy Alomar Jr. Indians Jersey . According to a report from the Vancouver Province, the Lions are expected to replace former DC Rich Stubler with defensive backs coach Mark Washington. https://www.cheapindiansonline.com/2438u-tyler-naquin-jersey-indians.html . After the whistle, Thornton skated the length of the ice, pulled Orpik to the ice from behind and punched him in the face several times. Tyler Clippard Indians Jersey . Klitschkos management company says the bout will be the Ukrainian fighters 25th world championship fight. The 1.83-meter (6-ft) Leapai defeated the previously unbeaten Denis Boytsov in November to become the WBOs mandatory challenger. Ray Fosse Jersey . Each of Houstons starters scored in double figures as the Rockets improved to 2-0 against the Spurs this season, with both victories coming on the road. They also moved within 3 1/2 games of San Antonio (22-7) for the lead the Southwest Division. Randy OrtonD.O.B.: April 1, 1980Billed height: 6-ft-5Billed height: 250 poundsBilled from: St. Louis, MissouriSignature moves: RKO, Elevated DDTNicknames: The Viper, The Apex PredatorWWE main roster debut: March 16, 2002WWE AccoladesTwelve-time WWE world champion; first win on Aug. 15, 2004 (SummerSlam)Intercontinental champion; won on Dec. 14, 2003 (Armageddon)One-time WWE tag team champion (with Edge); won on Nov. 13, 2006 (Monday Night Raw)One-time WWEE SmackDown tag team champion (with Bray Wyatt); won on Dec.dddddddddddd 4, 2016 (TLC); Current championRoyal Rumble winner (2009)Money in the Bank briefcase winner (2013)Slammy Award winnerOther NotesAppeared in multiple films (Thats What I Am, 12 Rounds 2: Reloaded, The Condemned 2)Appeared on the television show Deal or No Deal ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Besucherzähler
Heute waren 100 Gäste online.

Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 5840 Themen und 24610 Beiträge.

Heute waren 0 Mitglieder Online:

Xobor Xobor Forum Software
Einfach ein eigenes Forum erstellen