ry and No. 12 Ohio State beat Canisius 8

in Laberecke 07.11.2019 06:22
von mary123 | 2.355 Beiträge

Review it! Review it! screamed the Australians, goading Sri Lankas Dimuth Karunaratne as they hurtled past him to backslap, high-five and bum-pat each other. Fifth over, day one, first Test: Mitchell Starc had struck the pad and elicited the raised finger to provisionally dismiss the opener, who now std prone, mulling whether or not, as a professional batsman, he agreed. He had 15 seconds to decide, computing angles and circumstance amidst a cacophony of side-mouthed badgering from the opposition. Thats out mate! Go on, review it!It must be the most unnatural calculation known to anyone who has ever held a cricket bat: Ive been hit on the pad. The umpire thinks Im out. Do I agree?Cats eat mice; lizards lie on rocks; batsmen are not out. Compelling them to think rationally about whether they are lbw or not is surely the most perverse aspect of on-field cricket in the modern age. To watch a batsmans agony as he attempts to transcend his survival reflex is either excruciating or darkly entertaining, depending on how you like your schadenfreude served.But is it fair?Crickets connection to law, particularly Westminster law, is as old as the game itself. Each is meant to contain social meaning and life lessons. The relationship between the game and legal theory is well chronicled in bks like David Frasers Cricket and the Law: The Man in White is Always Right, and the parallels are pretty clear.In the case of lbws, a batsmans protection of the stumps via pad is the crime. The bowler is the victim, or plaintiff, and the batsman is the defendant. The umpire, or judge, hands down the ruling. And in crickets modern society, the batsman now has the right of appeal. All sounds pretty fair so far.But if crickets laws are meant to reflect societal values, should we be allowing the batsman - undoubtedly irrational at the key moment - an opportunity to adjudicate? Seriously, who has ever been struck on the pad and comprehensively agreed that they are out?Batsmen, in this moment, are in a state of madness. They should be considered, for legal purposes, criminally insane.Enter Shane Watson: the human embodiment of bad reviews and the resulting face of the most tired gag in cricket. A precociously talented cricketer who will be remembered for the grievous crime of thinking he was not out when he often was. He deserves sympathy because hes just like us. If asked to adjudicate your own dismissal, how would you fare? Its a scenario not uncommon in maidans, nets, backyards and back alleys across the world. These arenas are like nation states: each claiming sovereignty over its territory and domestic affairs, and establishing its own culture, custom and protocol in doing so. But lbws, worldwide, remain a unilateral source of contention.My own backyard was no different. I still remember the day - I was ten - when my dad introduced a new rule into our own nation state. I was deemed to have a grasp on the laws of lbw, so now the batsman would be the sole decision maker on all appeals. Lking back, I presume there was a moral dimension to this new legislation. I was being encouraged to trade infantile tantrums for a more sober, objective appraisal of the game. I was being taught fairness.A batsman-review at amateur level would be disastrous. Not just for their inevitably pr application, but because it would compromise a key cultural pillar of cricket: the joy of casting doubt on the umpires decision. Robbing players of the opportunity to wage a dressing-rm whisper campaign about the veracity of their dismissal would bring to an end to one of the great sources of comedy for cricketers: watching a batsman convince himself that, yet again, he has been the victim of a bad decision.Because batsmen, when hit on the pad, are not out. Its their natural plight. Technology may reduce the howler and help us arrive at the truth, but an elegant law may reflect some understanding of this phenomenon.When my dad struck me on the toe, or back leg, fully covering the stumps, I knew what the answer was. I am not out, because Im normal and I want to keep batting. I may be wrong, but I am in no state to decide.Karunaratne didnt think he was out either, but he tk t long to decide. He was out. Suck s***! bellowed one Australian as the opener plodded off.When it comes to getting out, we are all children, and so it should remain. NFL Jerseys China . Haas said he "felt a lot of pain" in his right shoulder when he slammed his racket to the ground in frustration after losing his serve at 3-3 in the first set. Wholesale NFL Jerseys China . The Celtics closed out their first preseason under Stevens on Wednesday night with a 101-97 victory over the Brklyn Nets, who rested a lot of their lineup including former Celtics Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce. https://www.chinajerseysnfl.us/ . -- The Portland Timbers and Real Salt Lake played to a 0-0 tie Saturday night that left the top of the Western Conference standings unchanged. Nike NFL Jerseys China . In what the team had called a retirement, Ryan said Thursday that he is resigning as chief executive of the Rangers in a move effective at the end of this month. Nike NFL Jerseys Outlet . Pettersen, winner of last years Evian Championships, had nine birdies and three bogeys, holding off a series of challengers led by Marion Ricordeau of France. The second-ranked Norwegian made her season debut after missing the LPGA Tours opening event last month in the Bahamas because of a shoulder injury. COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Kelsey Mitchell scored 19 points to move into fifth in program history and No. 12 Ohio State beat Canisius 89-56 on Sunday.Mitchell needed 10 points to tie Samantha Prahalis for sixth and 15 points to match Tayler Hill for fifth.Mitchell was 9 of 17 from the field and also had six steals.Tori McCoy had 17 points and 11 rebounds for her first double-double with Ohio State (8-3). Makayla Waterman had nine points, nine rebounds and a career-high five assists for the Buckeyes, who have won three straight.Mitcchell scored 13 points in the first half and McCoy added 11 as Ohio State held a 50-33 lead.dddddddddddd McCoy was 4 of 4 from the field in the opening 20 minutes to extend her field-goal streak to 14 straight makes. She finished 7 of 8 from the field.Sara Hinriksdottir scored 14 points for Canisius (2-7), which started a five-game road stretch. The Griffins wont play at home again until Jan. 5. ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Besucherzähler
Heute waren 215 Gäste online.

Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 5840 Themen und 24610 Beiträge.

Heute waren 0 Mitglieder Online:

Xobor Xobor Forum Software
Einfach ein eigenes Forum erstellen