Peak believes Georgetown should just drop last years d

in Laberecke 18.10.2019 07:47
von mary123 | 2.355 Beiträge

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- In one week, the fortunes of the Arizona Cardinals and Tampa Bay Buccaneers flipped.The Cardinals, beaten at home by a depleted New England team in their season opener, bounced back with a 40-7 rout of the Buccaneers.A week ago, Tampa Bay basked in the four-touchdown performance of Jameis Winston and a win in Atlanta. On Sunday, Winston turned the ball over five times with four interceptions and one fumble.Carson Palmer threw for three touchdowns, including a 52-yard touchdown pass to Jaron Brown in the final minute of the first half, and Cardinals newcomer Marcus Cper intercepted two passes, returning the second one 60 yards for a touchdown .Its great to get any type of win, Arizonas Larry Fitzgerald said, but especially one in decisive fashion like that.While the Buccaneers coughed it up five times, Arizona went without a turnover for the second week in a row. The Cardinals are plus-seven in takeaways as they head to Buffalo next weekend to face the 0-2 Bills.Knock on wd, we are protecting the ftball, Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said. Its the best thing we are doing offensively. ... and defensively, the turnovers are coming in bunches.The Buccaneers head back across the country to finally play their home opener next Sunday against Los Angeles.It was just a bad day all around, Tampa Bay cornerback Brent Grimes said. Just stuff didnt go right. ... We have to learn from this and come back next week.Here are some things of note from Arizonas one-sided victory:WINSTONS GAME: The Cardinals thrive on turnovers and Winston gave them plenty.When you play against a high-powered offense like Arizona, you cant give them freebies, he said. We turned the ball over and gave them a pick-six. It wasnt gd. We played one of the best defenses in the league, but all those interceptions were on me.Patrick Peterson picked off a deep throw to the end zone for the first interception. Cper got the next two. The final one was by D.J. Swearinger on the games last play.Winston threw 52 passes, most in his two NFL seasons. He completed 27. He threw 19 yards to Mike Evans for the lone Tampa Bay TD.NEW CORNERBACK: The Cardinals acquired Cper in a trade with Kansas City on Sept. 2 just before the Chiefs were expected to release him.For one game at least, he sure lked like the cornerback Arizona has needed opposite All-Pro Patrick Peterson. Rkie Brandon Williams had been the starter.Im new to the team, so I have to gain these guys trust, Cper said, and the best way to do that is to make a play, so thats what I tried to do, and hopefully we can build from that.Arians wouldnt pronounce Cper the starter quite yet.Well see how it goes, Arians said. He could potentially be the starter over there.SPREADING IT AROUND: Palmers touchdown passes went to three different receivers, 1-yarders to Larry Fitzgerald and Michael Floyd and a 51-yarder to Jaron Brown.In all, seven Cardinals caught a pass. Fitzgerald caught six for 81 yards. David Johnson had only three catches, but for 98 yards. That included a check-down pass that Johnson turned into a 58-yard gain.He just does a great job of evaluating and seeing what the defense is giving is and finding an open man, Fitzgerald said of his quarterback. You saw that again today. He spread it around to everybody.ROUGH RETURN: Dirk Koetters return to the desert was a rough one. The first-year Tampa Bay coach was head coach at Arizona State for six seasons a decade ago before being fired in 2006.Suffice it to say that tenure so long ago was not on his mind in the wake of this blowout loss.I did not do a gd enough job of getting these guys ready to go, Koetter said.He had a terse exchange when reporters pressed him on why he left Winston in the game when the outcome had long been determined.You can criticize me all you want. He stayed in the game, Koetter said. Say what you want. He stayed in the game. You can get as mad at me as you want. He stayed in. Write what youre going to write.---AP NFL website: www.pro32.ap.org and AP NFL Twitter feed: https://twitter.com/AP-NFL ds.com/" target="_blank">Chicago Bears Jerseys . The native of Mont-Tremblant, Que., captured a World Cup downhill event Saturday, his second this year and fifth career victory on the circuit. ds.com/Womens-Brian-Urlacher-Inverted-Jersey/" target="_blank">Brian Urlacher Jersey . Pettersen, winner of last years Evian Championships, had nine birdies and three bogeys, holding off a series of challengers led by Marion Ricordeau of France. The second-ranked Norwegian made her season debut after missing the LPGA Tours opening event last month in the Bahamas because of a shoulder injury. ds.com/Womens-Tom-Waddle-Inverted-Jersey/" target="_blank">https://www.bearssportsgds.com/Womens-Tom-Waddle-Inverted-Jersey/ .C. -- Todd Fiddler scored a hat trick, including the overtime goal, as the Prince George Cougars survived an 8-7 win against the Kamlps Blazers in Western Hockey League play Sunday. ds.com/Womens-Mike-Ditka-Inverted-Jersey/" target="_blank">Mike Ditka Jersey .Y. -- Paul Byron and Matt Stajan scored as the Calgary Flames started a five-game road trip with a 2-1 overtime win over the Buffalo Sabres on Saturday afternn. ds.com/Womens-Ha-Clinton-Dix-Inverted-Jersey/" target="_blank">Ha Ha Clinton-Dix Youth Jersey . Newcastle dominated in the early stages but City weathered the storm and then raised its game in extra time. Negredo broke the deadlock from close range after a simple move in the 99th minute before Dzeko tk the ball round goalkeeper Tim Krul to seal the victory in the 105th. WASHINGTON -- When 24-year-old graduate-student transfer Rodney Pryor joined Georgetown, not everyone appreciated him acting like the big man on campus.From Day One he came in, he was very vocal, junior forward Isaac Copeland said. At first it kind of rubbed me the wrong way like, `What is this new dude talking about all this stuff for? But after Week One or Week Two I was like, hes going to be a big part of our team this year.The oldest player on the team, Pryor is expected to be a big part of the Hoyas as they lk to rebound from their worst season in more than 40 years. Pryor, junior college transfer Jonathan Mulmore and freshman Jagan Mosely are part of Georgetowns new bld, and those players should make it easier to forget a forgettable 15-18 campaign -- the worst winning percentage since 1971-72.After averaging 18 points a game at Robert Morris, Pryor got a sixth year of eligibility and picked Georgetown over Kansas, Gonzaga and Florida.Obviously Kansas is a top-tier schl, but I didnt feel the need for me was as high because they got great players, the 6-ft-5 guard said at Georgetowns preseason media day Thursday. To have a top-tier schl like (Georgetown) want me and need me goes a long way, and I want to make sure I prove to them that they picked the right person.Pryor wanting to be defensive player of the year fits in with Thompsons goal of getting back to being consistently strong on defense. The new-lk Hoyas will probably push the pace more than ever before under Thompson, but that starts with defense and rebounding.You need rebounds to run a fast break, Copeland said. We have athletes at all positions this year, so get the rebound and push it.Adding Pryor, Mulmore, Mosely and getting former Louisville forward Akoy Agau back after he missed all last season with a torn ACL makes the Hoyas more athletic. It has also provided more depth after managers joined practice at times last year to fill holes.The one big void was left by the graduation of guard DVauntes Smith-Rivvera, who was Georgetowns go-to guy.dddddddddddd There isnt one yet, but talent by committee isnt a bad thing.Our team is very different this year than last year, Thompson said. Its just very different in that we dont have to depend on one person like we did last year.The stacked Big East with defending national champion Villanova, Xavier, Creighton and Seton Hall at the top will certainly challenge the Hoyas. Thats what Thompson said they signed up for, and theyre not shying away from the competition.It makes us better, but I think we make them better t, junior guard L.J. Peak said.---Some other things to watch with Georgetown this season:HAYES, EVENTUALLY: Center Bradley Hayes is back for an unexpected extra season but will have to sit out the first four games. That means missing Maryland and then Oregon at the Maui Invitational, but Georgetown will take it. Its hard to replace 7-ft, 280, Copeland said. Hes huge.PEAK PLAYING TIME: Peak was better off the bench than starting last season, Thompson conceded, though its not certain what his role will be now. Peak is one of Georgetowns best players, so if he can handle starting again he will.DONT FORGET IT: Peak believes Georgetown should just drop last years disappointment, while Copeland considers it motivation. Their coach is following the latter. Were not going to keep picking that scab, Thompson said. We have to make some changes on how things were done, and we have. Were in the process of doing it.FOUL PLAY: After being one of the most foul-prone teams in the nation last season, The coaching staff is preaching playing better defense and being more disciplined at the same time. Last year we fouled t much, Thompson said. Last year we didnt get to the line enough. All of those have been lked at and try to figure out how to address those issues.---More AP college basketball: www.collegebasketball.ap.org ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Besucherzähler
Heute waren 61 Gäste online.

Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 5840 Themen und 24610 Beiträge.

Heute waren 0 Mitglieder Online:

Xobor Xobor Forum Software
Einfach ein eigenes Forum erstellen