t Im definitely in favor of overtime rules and giving

in Clan- und Funwars 15.09.2019 03:44
von mary123 | 2.355 Beiträge

CINCINNATI -- A.J. Green juggled oranges on a postgame show after a win earlier this season, showing off for the cameras. His latest sleight-of-hand got a touchdown and turned a game.And maybe the Bengals season, t.Greens one-handed catch in the middle of an end zone scrum highlighted Cincinnatis day full of big plays, and the Bengals pulled away to another lopsided victory over their intrastate rival, beating the winless Cleveland Browns 31-17 on Sunday.Greens 48-yard touchdown catch on the final play of the first half helped the Bengals (3-4) regain their fting in the injury-depleted AFC North.We needed it in a big way, said Brandon LaFell, who caught a 44-yard touchdown pass.The defending division champions piled up their most points since they beat the Browns 37-3 last December. Jeremy Hill had a 74-yard touchdown run as part of his 168-yard effort, the best by a Bengals running back in seven years.After failing to score more than 23 points in any of the first six games, the Bengals finally got their act together against one of the leagues worst defenses, piling up 559 yards -- their most since 1990.Its definitely a start for us, Hill said. Were not satisfied, but its a start in the right direction.For Cleveland, it was just another step in a downward trend since the season opener.The Browns (0-7) extended their worst start since 1999, when they were a first-year expansion team. The NFLs only winless team also lost yet another quarterback -- the theme of their season.Cody Kessler got hit hard while throwing a shovel pass in the second quarter, then went to the locker for a concussion evaluation and was ruled out.Quarterbacks only have so many hits in them, Browns coach Hue Jackson said. Its unfortunate. On we go.The concussion left the offense in the hands of undrafted rkie Kevin Hogan, the Browns sixth quarterback of the season.Hogan -- Clevelands last quarterback standing -- kept it close for a while by scrambling 28 yards for his first NFL touchdown, the longest TD run by a quarterback in team history. He finished as the Browns top rusher with 104 yards.Running is something Ive always felt confident in, that I could get a first down or a big gain, Hogan said.With cornerback Joe Haden sidelined, the Browns had nobody who could cover Green, who had eight catches for 169 yards. The entire Browns defense couldnt stop him on the final play of the first half.Green reached with his right hand and pulled in the tipped ball for a 21-10 halftime lead.I beat everybody down there, so I had first dibs on the ball, Green said. I tapped it to myself a couple of times.He also had a 48-yard catch down the sideline that set up a field goal as the Bengals pulled away in the third quarter.ONE-SIDED RIVALRYThe Bengals have won the past four in the series by scores of 30-0, 31-10, 37-3 and 31-17. The Bengals 37-3 win in Cleveland last December was Cincinnatis most lopsided in the series and matched the biggest margin of victory by either team.INJURIESBrowns: Haden was sidelined with a groin injury. Terrelle Pryor, who leads the Browns in receiving, played with an injured hamstring and had two catches for 18 yards.Bengals: TE Tyler Eifert was active for the first time following offseason ankle surgery and a back injury. Eifert got onto the field on the second series and finished with one catch for 9 yards.ORANGE YOU CONFUSEDIt was tough to distinguish the teams by uniform. Both have orange helmets. The Browns wore white jerseys and orange pants. The Bengals wore orange jerseys and white pants. And it was all the same shade of orange.FANTASY IMPACTAndy Dalton has his third straight big game against the Browns, going 19 of 28 for 308 yards with two TDs. In his past three games against Cleveland, Dalton is 54 of 74 for 762 yards with seven TDs and no interceptions.UP NEXTThe Browns host the Jets, whom they havent beaten since 2007. Theyve dropped their past three against the Jets, including a 31-10 defeat in 2015.The Bengals make their first trip to London, facing former offensive crdinator Jay Grudens Washington team. The Bengals have won their past three against Washington.---Online: AP NFL website: www.pro32.ap.org and AP NFL Twitter feed: www.twitter.com/AP-NFL Kenny Stills Dolphins Jersey . PETERSBURG, Fla. Jerome Baker Dolphins Jersey . Hey!" The lower tier of the Schl End of Queens Park Rangers Loftus Road was packed solid with a very festive-sounding Chelsea choral section in this particular part of South Africa Road London, W12. http://www.authenticdolphinspro.com/Minkah-fitzpatrick-dolphins-jersey/ . How great will be revealed in the next couple of days at the board of governors meeting in Pebble Beach, Calif. Mark Clayton Youth Jersey . -- The proud fathers huddled near the Dallas Stars dressing rm, smiling, laughing and telling stories while wearing replica green sweaters of their sons team. re-dolphins-jersey/" target="_blank">Nat Mre Jersey . - Goaltender Philippe Desrosiers of the Rimouski Oceanic has broken a shutout record that was only three months old in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League. Mark Lisheron has attended Wisconsin games since 1970. He saw the Badgers suffer through a decade without a winning record and two lengthy stretches without a bowl appearance.But none of those sorry seasons featured the Wisconsin game Lisheron considers to be the worst he has ever witnessed. It was a game so utterly forgettable but also one never forgotten because of its status as a ftnote in the college ftball history bks.The date: Nov. 25, 1995.The teams: Wisconsin and Illinois.The place: Camp Randall StadiumThe stakes: Bowl eligibility for 5-5 Illinois; senior day pride for Wisconsin.The result: 3-3. Yes, a tie.As it turns out, the last tie in college ftball history. The sport introduced overtime in the 1995 postseason and for all games in 1996, which meant Illinois-Wisconsin, the regular-season finale, would become the final deadlocked collegiate contest.Some of college ftballs most famous games ended in ties, including the 1966 Notre Dame-Michigan State clash, billed as the Game of the Century. Other notable ties include the 1946 Army-Navy contest and the 1973 Ohio State-Michigan game, which led to a controversial vote about the Big Tens Rose Bowl participant.The Illinois-Wisconsin tie, meanwhile, was in a different category.It generated nothing, Lisheron said. It was two feckless teams going back and forth. Ive been at games where Wisconsin has taken it on the chin, but Ive never been to a worse ftball game because nothing happened. Neither team moved!Those on the field shared the sentiment.The game itself its probably one of those everybody-wants-to-forget-it games, Wisconsin offensive lineman Chris McIntosh said. Did anybody leave that day happy?Despite the general dullness, the game featured more subplots than points. ?This is the story of The Last Tie.?Bevells last standDarrell Bevell deserved a better sendoff. He had been the face of Wisconsins ftball renaissance, coming to Madison by way of Northern Arizona University and a two-year Mormon mission in Cleveland. In 1993, he set team records for pass yards (2,390) and pass touchdowns (19) in leading Wisconsin to its first Big Ten title and Rose Bowl appearance in 31 years.But Wisconsin was 4-5-1 -- yes, the Badgers tied Stanford earlier that season -- entering Bevells senior day. He didnt make it to end of the game.Wisconsins uncharacteristically inconsistent run game and young and mediocre offensive line left Bevell exposed to a ferocious Illinois defense, led by Kevin Hardy and Simeon Rice, the Nos. 2 and 3 overall selections in the 1996 NFL draft.Bevell got knocked all over the stadium, recalled longtime Wisconsin broadcaster Matt Lepay. He kept getting up. I was thinking, Dude, get off the field.Illinois didnt record a sack in the first half but piled up hits on Bevell. One in particular, delivered by Rice and Hardy on a pass, deposited Bevell on his side, leaving him with terrible back pain.Darrell would play through anything, Badgers offensive tackle Jerry Wunsch said.Bevell pushed forward. It was senior day. His parents were in the stands. His abdomen ached at halftime, but the trainers couldnt tell him the exact cause.With three minutes left in the game, the pain had peaked and Bevell couldnt even bark the cadence. He hobbled off the field and went to the locker rm on a golf cart. Before taking X-rays, he used the restrm and urinated bld.I still had my cleats on and I was lking at this little X-ray tech, said Bevell, now the Seattle Seahawks offensive crdinator. I remember saying, Im going, Im going. I just felt it. I ended up passing out.An ambulance transported Bevell to University Hospital, where he entered intensive care. The diagnosis: a lacerated kidney. His abdomen had filled with bld until it couldnt bleed anymore, he said.Had the bld gone through the lining in Bevells abdomen and into his legs, he would have needed surgery.?I was real fortunate, he said.After reaching the hospital, Bevell immediately wanted to know whether Wisconsin had won the game. Thats when he heard about the tie.It sucks, it sucks, he said. You dont feel like you win or lost. Its like, What did we do? Theres no credit either way.Illini bowled overA win over would have made Illinois bowl eligible, but it wouldnt have guaranteed a spot. Athletic director Ron Guenther had spent the days before the game furiously brokering bowl options. He proposed a scenario: if Illinois and Iowa won their last games and Michigan State lost its finale, Iowa would go to the Sun Bowl, Michigan State to the Liberty Bowl and Illinois to the Independence Bowl. Illinois had played East Carolina in the Liberty Bowl the previous year, and organizers didnt want a rematch.But MSU coach Nick Saban didnt want the Liberty Bowl, either, as the schl hadnt?enjoyed its experience there two years earlier. If Michigan State had won its last game, it would have gone to the Sun Bowl, and Iowa would have accepted the Liberty Bowl, freeing up the Independence Bowl for Illinois. But a Spartans loss meant they would go to the Independence or Liberty, and they wanted Shreveport.After a week of talking with bowl officials, television networks and schls, Guenther told the Chicago Tribune that Illinois bowl hopes were on life support entering the Wisconsin game. Guenthers big selling point remained the Chicago TV market.I remember being in the press box with these guys who had flown in from the Independence Bowl, Guenther said. I had one of our donors with us, and we came down to stand on the sideline.They std there in the final minute as Illinois drove to the Wisconsin 36-yard line. The Illini lined up for a 54-yard field-goal attempt that, if successful, would almost surely win the game.Guenther watched the ball flip toward the goal posts, right on line. It fell a few feet shy of the crossbar.In my opinion, its worse than a loss, Guenther said.The AD went to the locker rm afterward, as he allways does.ddddddddddddBut he had no idea what to say. The bowl reps? They just left.We knew 6-5 was going to put us in [a bowl], Hardy said. Theres a bit of emptiness. You didnt win, you didnt lose, but the game is over. Youre lking at the scoreboard and youre like, 3-3, thats ridiculous. This is our last game playing for Illinois. Its like, Whats going on now? I do remember being in the locker rm and some guys were wondering, Do we still have a chance?We didnt have a losing season, but we didnt have a winning season, either.Maybe a ft shortThe plaque still hangs on Bret Scheupleins wall at his home in Florida.It reads:AT&T Long Distance Award Brett (sic) Scheuplein, Illinois Longest Field Goal November 25, 1995Perhaps the ultimate irony of The Last Tie is that it featured the longest made field goal in college ftball that week, a 51-yarder Scheuplein converted midway through the fourth quarter. The kick turned out to be Scheupleins career long and earned him a national honor.It was a cl day, 40 degrees at kickoff, but not overly windy or frigid for Wisconsin in late November. Scheuplein kept a hunting bt over his right ft to keep it warm and nearly forgot to remove it before kicking the 51-yarder.But it was his second attempt, the 54-yarder in the final minute, which lingers.It was actually a very gd kick, Illinois punter Brett Larsen recalled. He hit it well. I dont remember what that wind was doing, but as sn as he hit it, I think he thought it was gd. If I remember right, he kind of put his hands in the air, like, Yeah, thats gd. And then it just fell short. It was like a yard short or a half-yard short, right in front of the crossbar.Scheuplein thought he had it, until he didnt.No one was hard on me, he said. It wasnt like I missed a 25-yarder. They knew it was a long shot. But its the ones you miss, those are the ones that stick with you, especially when theyre that close.As a kicker, you cant beat yourself up t much. But that one stung.Swan song for a man in stripesWisconsin-Illinois was college ftballs last tie game, but for the Big Ten officiating crew at Camp Randall Stadium, it also marked the final game for J.W. Sanders, the field judge that day. Sanders had started officiating Big Ten games in 1975 before moving to the NFL for most of the 1980s. He returned to the college game for his final few seasons on the field.Referee Dick Honig gathered his crew for dinner in downtown Madison the day before the Wisconsin-Illinois game. The crew then returned to the InnTowner Madison, a few blocks west of the stadium, for their pregame meeting.That night, line judge John Kouris read a passage he had written for Sanders to the crew.An excerpt:When we step unto a torrid stadium flr in late August or stand tall in the November snow, wind and rain amidst the catcalls and epithets, we are not officiating a college ftball game. We are instead standing at the edge of time and lking into eternity.? And for those precious moments when we are sprinting down the sidelines with wide receivers less than half our age or jumping into skirmishes with young men twice our size, we are quenching our collective thirst with short sips from the fountain of youth.?We are the September winds sweeping across Midwestern towns -- Coal City, Cloverdale, Newton, Delphi? -- and hosts upon hosts of silo-filled, steeple-attended villages. We are the parched breath of autumn and the harbinger of summers death.Kouris said officials often got on one another for showing a sensitive side, but Sanders appreciated the tribute.?J.W. was a very well-respected official, Kouris recalled. He was always leading clinics and helping those of us wanting to get to the Big Ten. He was a prince of a guy.The officials had reviewed overtime rules during their clinic before the 1995 season. After the game, Kouris approached Honig.If this game was next year, wed still be playing, he said. Wed be freezing our ass off a lot longer. ?Hollow in historyWhen the game ended, those involved didnt give much thought to their involvement in a small piece of college ftball history.Even as they reflect on the game more than two decades later, the feelings arent overly fond.Wisconsin offensive tackle Jerry Wunsch: We just did all this work, bld, sweat and tears, people broke bones and no one got anything. It feels like a loss because you didnt win. The result is so deflating, actually.Illinois linebacker Kevin Hardy: Its not one of those situations we could have done anything different. There wasnt that, Oh no, it cant end like this! But in hindsight, we would have liked to be able to decide it.Wisconsin coach Barry Alvarez: It was just blah. You feel like nothing was accomplished. So the games over, you dont win, you dont lose, you cant celebrate. I wouldnt have wanted to be a fan in that stadium.Illinois punter Brett Larsen: Theres something to be said for history. That does make it intriguing, especially Notre Dame-Michigan State [in 1966], some of those games. But Im definitely in favor of overtime rules and giving somebody a chance to win.Wisconsin linebacker Tarek Saleh:? Many years later, its OK to talk about. I wouldnt want to advertise it, especially when I was 22 years old. Now its hey, we were part of something. You would rather have won the game and moved on, but its fine to be mentioned, somebody remembers you for something. So its not the worst thing in the world.For Badger fan Mark Lisheron, the game had one positive impact. It was the first time he and his longtime friend Dave Patterson tk their young sons to a Wisconsin game.Dave and I have talked about that game many times over the years because of its forgettable-ness, Lisheron said. It felt like a big waste of time. But we were happy to get the boys together. ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Besucherzähler
Heute waren 8 Gäste online.

Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 5840 Themen und 24610 Beiträge.

Heute waren 0 Mitglieder Online:

Xobor Xobor Forum Software
Einfach ein eigenes Forum erstellen