starts and six relief appearances,

in Clan- und Funwars 10.09.2019 09:00
von mary123 | 2.355 Beiträge

MONTREAL -- It was a record day for Canada at the mens draw of the Rogers Cup. Milos Raonic, Filip Peliwo, Frank Dancevic and Vasek Pospisil all pulled off three-set victories Tuesday to advance to the second round of the Masters 1000 hardcourt tennis event. With Jesse Levine of Ottawas win on Monday, it put five Canadians into the second round -- one more than made it that far in 1992. "Its amazing," said Dancevic, a Niagara Falls, Ont., native who downed Lu Yen-Hsun of Taiwan 5-7, 7-6 (6), 6-1. "Its a Masters series event and pretty much everyone you play here is at a high level, ranked in the top-50, so to have four guys through the first round shows a lot about how far Canadian tennis has come along. "Its really great to see and its been showing up more and more in all the tournaments." It was a first win in an ATP event this year for Dancevic, who has been doing well of late in lower-level tournaments. In the feature evening match on centre court of the US$3.49-million tournament, the 13th-seeded Raonic, of Thornhill, Ont., used his bming serve to overcome an otherwise so-so outing to defeat Frances Jeremy Chardy 6-3, 4-6, 7-5 in his first-round match. Vancouvers Peliwo, who became the first Canadian male to win a junior grand slam event at Wimbledon in 2012, staved off a match point with what he called a "lucky" shot at the net for a 3-6, 7-5, 3-1 win over 39th-ranked Jarkko Nieminen. The Finnish left-hander was forced to retire in the third set with a hamstring injury. Pospisil, of Vernon, B.C., upset one of the hottest players on the ATP Tour as he outlasted 20th-ranked American John Isner 5-7, 7-6 (5), 7-6 (4) before a roaring crowd on centre court. "Im feeling very gd about my game lately," said Pospisil, who was coming off a victory last week in a Challenger series event in Vancouver. "From the baseline I wasnt feeling t comfortable because the conditions are extremely different from Vancouver. "I felt a little bit of difficulty controlling the ball from the baseline." The only Canadian to fall thus far was Peter Polansky, also of Thornhill, who got to the main draw through the qualifying tournament but then lost to ninth-seeded Kei Nishikori on Monday. The Canadian men had already reached a milestone this year when they defeated Italy to reach the Davis Cup semifinals for the first time. And with Raonic ranked 13th and Pospisil recently risen to 71st, it is the first time Canada has had two players in the worlds top 75 since Andrew Sznejder and Grant Connell in 1990. "We have a lot of capable and gd players that can play at a high level," said Pospisil, who beat a top-20 player for the first time. "Its just thrilling, really. Theres so many of us right now in the second round." While Canada may be on the rise, the United States has taken a mighty fall. Isners loss means that when next weeks rankings come out, there will be no American in the top-20 for the first time in 40 years of ATP rankings. Isner reached the Rogers Cup semifinals last year and didnt defend those points. At Wimbledon in June, for the first time in 101 years no American reached the third round. Isner, who was coming off a win and a an appearance in a final in his last two tournaments, wasnt talkative after the match and said he just wanted to go home. Peliwo lked ready for an early exit when he fell behind 3-0 in the second set and then was taken to match point with 32-year-old Niemenin leading 5-4. But he found a way out of that jam and went on to win the set and the match. "Basically, I went to the net after a rally, hit a pretty lame volley, kind of popped it up," said the Peliwo 19-year-old said. "He hit a forehand, I kind of moved to the right expecting it down the line and I guess he changed his mind a bit and hit it right towards my direction. "I just threw my hands up like that. Just reflex." Peliwo is ranked 353rd in the world, but the victory over 39th-ranked Niemenin should put him into the top-300. "Its definitely the best feeling Ive had in a while," he said. "Its such a big win for me. "Ranking-wise, Ill get a lot of points. Confidence, to be able to say I beat a top-40 player. Im still trying to realize what I did." Peliwo will face 66th-ranked Denis Istomin of Uzbekistan in the second round on Wednesday. Levine will be in tough against fourth-seeded Rafael Nadal, the former world No. 1 and two-time Rogers Cup champion. Raonic goes up against Mikhail Youzhny. Dancevic takes on 15th-seeded Jerzy Janowicz, who beat Julien Benneteau 3-6, 6-3, 7-5. Pospisil will face No. 51 Radek Stepanek, who upset 12th seeded Nicolas Almagro 6-3, 6-7 (4), 6-3. In other first-round matches, 13th-seeded Fabio Fognini downed Marcos Baghdatis 1-6, 6-1, 6-1, Nikolay Davidov ousted 14th-seeded Gilles Simon 2-6, 6-1, 6-1, Alex Bogolomov of Russia beat Michael Llodra of France 6-2, 4-6, 6-3 and Youzhny defeated Jurgen Melzer 6-4, 7-6 (3), and Alexander Dolgopolov beat Kevin Anderson 7-6 (4), 6-4. In the second round, Nishikori downed Andreas Seppi 4-6, 7-5, 6-1 In doubles, Nadal and Pablo Andujar fought off two match points to beat fellow Spaniards David Ferrer and Feliciano Lopez 6-7 (2), 6-4, 12-10. Lance Alworth Womens Jersey . After Gasquet beat fifth-seeded Ivan Dodig of Croatia 7-5, 6-3, Tsonga followed up with a 6-7 (3), 6-2, 6-2 win against sixth-seeded Edouard Roger-Vasselin in an all-French match. Antonio Gates Chargers Jersey . Francis told several hundred members of the European Olympic Committees that when sport "is considered only in economic terms and consequently for victory at every cost . http://www.prochargersteamstore.com/Youth-Easton-Stick-Elite-Jersey/ .C. -- After a listless first half, the Washington Wizards used a big third quarter run to beat the Charlotte Bobcats Bradley Beal scored 21 points and the Wizards used a 17-0 run in the third quarter to take control of what had been a close game and beat the Bobcats 97-83 on Tuesday night. Keenan Allen Youth Jersey . -- Devin Hester is done returning kicks in Chicago. Philip Rivers Jersey . - NASCAR announced a 33-race schedule for the 2014 Nationwide Series with virtually no changes from this years slate. NEW YORK -- The retling New York Yankees have dealt right-hander Ivan Nova to the Pittsburgh Pirates for two players to be named.A 29-year-old right-hander, Nova follows relievers Aroldis Chapman and Andrew Miller, and outfielder Carlos Beltran out of New York.Nova is 7-6 with a 4.90 ERA in 15 starts and six relief appearances, his inconsistency among the reasons the Yankees have struggled for much of this season. He was 6-11 with a 5.07 ERA over 17 starts last year in his return from Tommy John surgery.With only 5 minutes left before deadline, Nova thought: OK, Im not going to get traded, Im going to sttay here.dddddddddddde was running on treadmill in weight rm when Yanks bullpen catcher Ramon Rodriguez told him about trade and then he saw his name on TV. And then Yanks pitching coach Larry Rothschild informed Nova.Hopefully I can put it together over there, Nova said.Nova rejoins former Yanks catcher Francisco Cervelli with Pirates.We grew up in this organization, the pitcher said.Nova is making $4.1 million this year and is eligible for free agency after the World Series. ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Besucherzähler
Heute waren 128 Gäste online.

Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 5840 Themen und 24610 Beiträge.

Heute waren 0 Mitglieder Online:

Xobor Xobor Forum Software
Einfach ein eigenes Forum erstellen