Marlins manager Don Mattingly.Somebody

in Mitglieder 05.09.2019 09:34
von mary123 | 2.355 Beiträge

SAN DIEGO -- From the moment we first laid eyes on him, didnt we know this was coming? From the first baseball we saw him pound halfway to Saturn, we said to ourselves: That dude Giancarlo Stanton is going to hit 60 home runs someday.What we never imagined, though, was this. We never imagined there would come a time when Giancarlo Stanton would hit 61 home runs in one day.But then came Monday evening, in a ballpark where home run balls were supposed to go to die. Instead, Petco Park would become the place where the legend of the great Giancarlo was born, in a Home Run Derby show that will shine on forever. And why does it feel as though we will never lk at him the same again?He hit 61 home runs in 13? minutes? gulped the pitcher who served up those 61 home runs, Miami Marlins coach Pat Shine. Thats almost inhuman.Inhuman. Superhuman. Whatever. It definitely wasnt human. Mere humans dont do the things that the Marlins larger-than-life rocket launcher did on this night. And were talking about things like this:? In the 30-year history of the Home Run Derby, exactly two men had ever hit 20 homers in a single round: Josh Hamilton in Yankee Stadium in 2008 and?Bobby Abreu in Detroit in 2005. Then along came Stanton -- to have two rounds like that in one night. With 24 in Round 1. And 20 more in the finals. Seriously?? The record for most total home runs in any of the first 30 Derbies was 41, by Abreu. It tk Stanton a mere two rounds to tie that one.? The last time the Derby was held in San Diego, there were 40 homers hit in the entire event. Stanton hit more than by himself -- in nine minutes (over two rounds).? Sammy Sosa tk part in six different Home Run Derbies and hit a total of 65 homers. Stanton almost matched him in one night.? Yoenis Cespedes won back-to-back Derbies, in 2013 and 14. He hit 60 home runs in the two of them combined, and it was enough to brand him as one of his sports most feared sluggers. Stanton just hit more homers in one epic Derby than Cespedes hit in his two combined.Ridiculous, friends. Just ridiculous. But it wasnt merely the sheer number of baseballs Stanton hit that this ballpark wasnt large enough to hold. It was where they landed, how far they flew, the sound they made, the objects they cleared -- hedges and palm trees, billboards and batters eyes.He hit more than 27,000 feet worth of home runs. His average homer soared an incredible 447 feet. He mashed five that traveled 490 feet or longer, 10 that went 480 or longer and 31 that carried 450 or longer. He hit the 10 longest home runs of the entire event. He hit 18 of the 19 longest. All by himself. How is that possible?I dont think anybody understands what he just did, said Oakland catcher Stephen Vogt, who admitted he stuck around all three hours just to watch Stanton hit. Thats superhuman. He was hitting every single ball well over 400 feet. I was actually scared for the kids in the field on some of the low line drives he was hitting. Its not normal to be able to create that much bat speed and hit the ball that far. It was very impressive and incredible. The first three rows in the stands were not safe.But if you think it was terrifying for the folks who were watching it from 450 feet away, imagine what it was like to watch this exhibition from 60 feet, 6 inches away. Only Pat Shine understd that feeling. He shk his head when he was asked to describe it.The sound of his bat, to be honest, when I throw to him, is just so much different than other guys, Shine said. Its loud. Its violent. Its a violent act. And hes intense. So its fun for about a split second. Then its on to the next pitch.Both Shine and Stantons teammates saw a lk in Stantons eye on this night that told just as important a story as his home run highlight reel. He didnt have to be here. Remember that. He had a rough first half. He didnt make the All-Star team. So he flew 3,000 miles just for this.So I figured its a waste of time, he said, gazing at his championship trophy, if I dont bring this bad boy home.He had rearranged his schedule and his life. For this one night. For this one event. For this one opportunity to make a Ruthian statement about who and what he is. Is it safe to say we got the message?I think this was one of the things that he wanted to do, said his teammate?A.J. Ramos. Last year, he didnt get to be here. He was hurt. And when he was in it his first time [in 2014], he didnt compete like he wanted to. And this year, not making the All-Star team, you knew he really wanted to put on a show.Hey, ya think? Stanton has always had a special affection for the Home Run Derby, always talked about it with a reverence that not everyone in his sport shares. Mark McGwire, Ken Griffey Jr. and David Ortiz once made his memories. Now it was Stantons turn to make someone elses memories.I grew up watching this, he said. Thats where you built it up, childhd memories of. Now I will have kids saying the same thing. They watched me do this. I like to return the favor.He returned it with back-to-back-to-back rounds unlike anyone has ever had, in any Derby ever staged. He blew away one former champion, Robinson Cano, 24-12, in the first round. He wiped out the leading home run hitter of the year, Mark Trumbo, 17-14, in the second. Then he crushed the defending champ, Todd Frazier, 20-13, in the third.Whats amazing is the ability to do it round after round, Marlins president David Samson said. What you normally see in the Home Run Derby is exhaustion set in. With Giancarlo, exhaustion is not part of his repertoire. And thats what differentiates him. He eats bananas and grilled cheese. So for me, thats the ultimate elixir.If it is, its one Frazier might consider adapting next year, because even a half-hour after the event, he was having trouble digesting what hed just seen from the man who beat him.He wasnt even using his back leg, Frazier would say afterward, incredulous over what hed just witnessed. Its unbelievable. It was majestic.Frazier loves the Derby himself. Loves competing with the other mortals who take part in it. But when he lks at Stanton, hes not even sure he sees someone from the same planet he lives on.Its a different beast, Frazier said. You lk at him and talk to him and you hear his voice. Its a deep voice. Youre like, Oh man, I didnt know that was coming out. Its like the guy in that movie 300. Youre like, Thats the guy weve got to take down or were in trouble. We couldnt take him down.Since the moment Giancarlo Stanton tk his first mighty swing in the big leagues back in 2010, weve been waiting for this. Finally, on one astounding evening, he left a powerful imprint -- of what he can do and what he just might become.I think we all knew what he was capable of, Shine said. And now its there. I think this is gd for baseball, to have him be the home run king. Im not taking anything away from those other guys. But I think hes the perfect guy to take over the trophy. It was like the stars were lined up a little bit, for somebody who is capable of doing anything in this game. Hes capable of doing things that nobody has ever done.And on this indelible night of Home Run Derby heroics, thats exactly what Giancarlo Stanton did. Vapormax 97 Canada . Pert has formerly spent time as an assistant coach with Cardiff City, Coventry City, and Bahrain mens national team. "Martyn is a highly-respected coach with experience at the top levels in England," said Whitecaps FC head coach Carl Robinson. Nike Vapormax Clearance . Halladay signed a one-day contract with the Toronto Blue Jays on Monday that allowed the veteran right-hander to retire as a member of team with which he broke into the majors and spent the bulk of his distinguished 16-year career. http://www.airvapormaxcanada.com/ . It was hard for Luck to pull off another comeback, or even get into the end zone, while standing on the sideline. Rivers threw a 22-yard touchdown pass to rkie Keenan Allen and Nick Novak kicked four field goals to give the Chargers a 19-9 victory against the Colts on Monday night. Vapormax Plus Mens Sale . White came in fourth place in the event. He was the two-time defending gold medallist. The gold medal went to Swiss snowboarder Iouri Podladtchikov. Nike Vapormax Canada . Q: Team Canada announces their Olympic roster three weeks from today. Who is general manager Steve Yzerman watching? LeBrun: Over the last 48 hours, hes taken in the home-and-home between the Dallas Stars and Colorado Avalanche with Jamie Benn and Matt Duchene being the obvious targets. MIAMI -- Chicago White Sox right-hander James Shields nine-year streak of double-figure wins is in serious jeopardy.Sheilds, who starts Saturday night against Miami Marlins left-hander Adam Conley, is 5-14 with a 5.43 ERA this season.Perhaps Shields, who turns 35 in December, has gotten old all of a sudden, and his days as an ace are over. Perhaps that is the answer, but its still a bit odd because Shields has been so consistent for so long ... only to unravel this year.Shields, who started the season with the San Diego Padres, was acquired by the White Sox on June 4. Thats when things went from bad to worse -- in 12 starts with the White Sox, he has a 6.68 ERA.Things have been really bad for Shields in his two previous starts as he has allowed 14 runs on 15 hits in a combined total of 6 1/3 innings. He got just four outs in his most recent start, against the Baltimore Orioles, allowing eight runs.I was pretty much bad all-around, Shields told the media after his most recent loss. I wasnt in my spots, and they were capitalizing.So what happened to Shields?The short answer is that Shields is giving up t many walks and t many homers.Shields has always been a fly-ball pitcher. For example, he gave up the most homers in the league, 34, in 2010, but still managed to win 13 games that year for the Tampa Bay Rays.Last year, he again led the league by allowing 33 homers, this time for the Padres. But again, he won 13 games.In fact, entering this season, Shields had an impressive 127-97 career record.But Shields, who prides himself on a deluxe changeup that he can throw on any count and a fastball that ranges between 89 and 94 mph with movement, has allowed an alarming 2.2 homers per nine innings since his trade to Chicago. His career average is 1.1.Shields control has also been an issue. His walks have gone from a career mark of 2.4 per nine innings to 4.2 this season.Whatever it iis that is ailing Shields, the White Sox hope he can be fixed because he is under contract through the end of the 2018 season on a four-year, $75 million deal.ddddddddddddThe Marlins, meanwhile, dont have nearly as much invested in Conley, a rkie who is 8.6 with a 3.70 ERA. Conley was Miamis second-best starting pitcher in the first half of the season, trailing only All-Star Jose Fernandez.But Conley is averaging just 5 1/3 innings per start in the second half of this season and has eclipsed the 100-pitch mark just once. His 4.00 ERA and 5.6 walks per nine innings are also signs of decline from his first-half numbers.His ERA was 3.65 in the first half of the season when he won six games.The Marlins, who dropped to 60-55 after Fridays 4-2 loss to the White Sox (55-60), are fortunate to be a half-game ahead of the St. Louis Cardinals in the battle for the second and final NL wild-card playoff berth.At least, that is the view of Marlins manager Don Mattingly.Somebody is going to get hot, Mattingly said of the teams that are chasing that wild-card spot. Somebody is going to win 10 of 12 or 11 of 14 and put you in harms way. So we are going to have to get going.It may happen in time for Saturdays game or it could happen later or not at all, but the Marlins are reportedly considering signing Alex Rodriguez, who is due to be released by the New York Yankees after playing his final game for the club Friday.The Marlins would use Rodriguez at first base as a replacement for injured Justin Bour, who wont return until September at the earliest, according to Miami manager Don Mattingly.Rodriguez, 41, hasnt played in the field much, and he may not have much left. But he would spark interest in the team at the very least, and he may be able to supply some power. ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Besucherzähler
Heute waren 4 Gäste online.

Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 5840 Themen und 24610 Beiträge.

Heute waren 0 Mitglieder Online:

Xobor Xobor Forum Software
Einfach ein eigenes Forum erstellen