first-time qualifier, but it didnt join Division I until 2008.W

in Clan- und Funwars 23.08.2019 09:05
von mary123 | 2.355 Beiträge

ATLANTA -- Walter Banks posed for pictures, caught up with old friends and turned a bit wistful as he remembered all the gd times as an Atlanta Braves usher.It was time to say gdbye.Again.The Braves played their final game at Turner Field on Sunday, ending a run that lasted a mere 20 seasons with a 1-0 victory over the Detroit Tigers.?Theyll be moving to a new stadium in the suburbs next season.A sellout crowd of some 50,000 turned out for the occasion, while Banks manned his usual position in the box seats near the Atlanta dugout, not far from former President Jimmy Carter and his wife, Rosalynn.Banks was wearing a Braves jersey with No. 51 on the back, marking his seasons of service with the team going back to its move from Milwaukee in 1966.You save the best to the last, he said. No matter if they win, lose or draw, youll always remember this day.Banks spent 31 seasons working as a Braves usher at Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium -- though, he was quick to point out, it was actually 32 since he started in 1965 when the Triple-A Crackers called it home while the Braves spent a lame-duck season in Wisconsin.Ive met so many people, so many friends, he said. A lot of people, I wont get to get see anymore.Banks was on hand for the Braves final game at their previous home in 1996. The following year, the team moved next dr to Turner Field, which began life as the main stadium for the Atlanta Olympics before it was converted into a baseball park.Atlanta Fulton-County Stadium was imploded, clearing the way for a parking lot that served its replacement.That was an easy move for Banks and other longtime stadium employees. Hes not sure hell be heading to SunTrust Park, which is only about 15 miles away in the Cumberland section of the city but isnt served by Atlantas rapid-transit system.If they get transportation, it would be a lot better, Banks said.The Braves marked the final game at the ballpark affectionately known as the Ted -- a nod to its namesake and former Braves owner Ted Turner -- with a rousing ceremony honoring their all-time Turner Field team.One by one, they trotted in through an opening in the center-field wall, beginning with Chipper Jones. He tk his former position at third base, followed by shortstop Rafael Furcal, second baseman Marcus Giles, first baseman Adam LaRoche, left fielder Brian Jordan, center fielder Andruw Jones, right fielder Gary Sheffield and catcher Javy Lopez.Finally, the all-time pitchers were introduced -- three of them. Hall of Famers Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine and John Smoltz strolled out together in their familiar Braves jerseys, the crowd saving its biggest cheer for the remarkable trio. They anchored the team through much of its unprecedented run of 14 straight division titles, the last nine of which came after the move to Turner Field.Maddux, Glavine and Smoltz were fittingly given the honor of throwing out the ceremonial first pitches in unison -- or, actually, the last pitches. They were joined on the mound by another Hall of Famer, former Braves manager Bobby Cox.A giant American flag was unfurled across the outfield during the national anthem, which was capped off by two military jets roaring overhead on an unseasonably warm afternn.Tim Landrey was among those attending the final game, bringing along his 12-year-old son, Jack.Landrey moved to Atlanta in 1996 and has been a Braves fan ever since.I wanted to be part of this last game, he said while watching batting practice.Landrey, who lives in the suburbs north of Atlanta, is eager to attend games at the new stadium. He said it will be a bit closer to his home and there will be more to do at the mall-like complex adjacent to SunTrust Park, which will include restaurants, retail shops and a hotel.The Braves had long complained that the city never followed through on plans to bring development to the struggling neighborhd that surrounds Turner Field. They cited that as a reason for moving, along with some $400 million in public funds that Cobb County kicked in for the new stadium.Im lking forward to going to Braves games and hitting a restaurant or a bar before or after the game, Landrey said. Its something to do as opposed to just coming here, so its a gd move for the Braves.Turner Field is barely older than Braves rkie shortstop Dansby Swanson, who was born in 1994 in suburban Kennesaw and has fond memories of cheering on the Braves as a child.Its a little bit surreal, Swanson said. This was pretty much my whole life, what I can remember. You cant really put it into words. I dont know if Ive even allowed myself to think about whats going on today and this whole year.Swanson is glad he made it to Atlanta this season, giving him a chance to take part in the Teds finale before moving on to a new era, one that hes expected to be a huge part of after several years of painful rebuilding.That was the goal coming in, Swanson said. I wanted to close out the old one and help open up the new one. ds.com/Womens-Russ-Grimm-Inverted-Jersey/" target="_blank">Russ Grimm Youth Jersey . Anthony Calvillo, through 20 CFL seasons, was frequently invincible and largely stoic in the heat of competition. But underneath the professional exterior he was, and is, compellingly human. ds.com/Customized/" target="_blank">Custom Washington Redskins Jerseys . -- The Bishops Gaiters are showing they belong among the countrys top varsity ftball teams. ds.com/Womens-Landon-Collins-Inverted-Jersey/" target="_blank">https://www.redskinssportsgds.com/Womens-Landon-Collins-Inverted-Jersey/ . -- In a span of seven Washington Redskins offensive plays, Justin Tuck sacked Robert Griffin III four times. ds.com/Womens-Alex-Smith-Inverted-Jersey/" target="_blank">Alex Smith Jersey . I cant pinpoint a date, but I do remember a player from my youth. Brian Downing was with the Chicago White Sox at a time when I listened to every game I possibly could on the radio. That particular season the late great Harry Caray was calling the White Sox games. ds.com/Womens-Clinton-Portis-Inverted-Jersey/" target="_blank">Clinton Portis Youth Jersey . Sgt. Eric ONeal says most of the arrests at Monday nights game were for public drunkenness, though one person was taken into custody on suspicion of trying to steal a seat from the stadium. (STATS) -- The FCS was alphabet soup even in the days when it was called NCAA Division I-AA, so with the best playoffs in college ftball beginning on Saturday, its gd to know the 24 teams in the field from A to Z.NDSU, er, North Dakota State is the five-time defending champ, but there are plenty of contenders to be the FCS champ.Enjoy all the fun.With this years field …A is for coach Andy Talley. The retiring Villanova coach goes into his 12th playoff appearance with a 2009 FCS title and 257 career wins (229 with the Wildcats) to his credit.B is for the backup quarterbacks. Richmond is turning to its backup to make his first career start in the first round. Charleston Southern, Lehigh, New Hampshire, North Carolina A&T, Wofford and Youngstown State are other teams playing in the first round that havent simply relied on one quarterback to win games.C is for coaches. There are nine who have earned their conferences coach of the year award already: North Dakotas Bubba Schwiegert (Big Sky), Charleston Southerns Jamey Chadwell (Big South), James Madisons Mike Houston (CAA), South Dakota States John Stiegelmeier (Missouri Valley), Saint Francis Chris Villarrial (Northeast), Jacksonville States John Grass (Ohio Valley), Lehighs Andy Coen (Patriot), The Citadels Brent Thompson (Southern) and Sam Houston States K.C. Keeler (Southland).D is for Dakota. Three of the eight seeded teams are North Dakota State (1), North Dakota (7) and South Dakota State (.E is for eleven. There are 11 teams back in the field from a year ago. None has been better about coming back than New Hampshire, which is making its 13th straight appearance under coach Sean McDonnell.F is Frisco. The growing Dallas suburb is the neutral site host to the championship game for the seventh consecutive season. Toyota Stadium is undergoing renovation, so seating capacity has dropped from 20,086 to about 15,300.G is for great games. Its what we all want during this grand time of the season.H is for home field advantage. Theres only one playoff game without it -- the championship. Eleven of the playoff qualifiers, including six seeded teams, were unbeaten at home in the regular season, and all of the qualifiers combined to go 112-15 (.882).I is for incomparable. Eastern Washington wide receiver Cper Kupp holds the FCS and Division I records for receptions (402), receiving yards (6,061) and touchdown receptions (6.J is for Jeremiah Briscoe. The Sam Houston State quarterback leads the FCS in passing yards (4,096), passing yards per game (372.4), touchdown passes (52), passing efficiency (187.0) and points responsible for per game (28.9). Hes four shy of the FCS single-season record for touchdown passes.K is for keeping drives alive. Playoff qualifiers Cal Poly, James Madison, Eastern Washington, San Diego, Sam Houston State and Lehigh are the only teams in the FCS whose third down conversion rates are above 50 percent.L is for losses. Central Arkansas, Chattanga, North Carolina A&T, Richmond, Saint Francis, Samford and The Citadel ended the regular seasson with a defeat.dddddddddddd But that was then, this is now …M is for momentum. Illinois State, once 3-5, surged to an at-large bid with three straight season-ending wins. Sam Houston State has the longest winning streak (11) and is one of 11 teams in the field that havent lost since the calendar turned to November.N is for nicknames. The more unique ones are the Jackrabbits (South Dakota State), Penguins (Youngstown State), Red Flash (Saint Francis) and Toreros (San Diego). The most common is Wildcats (New Hampshire, Villanova and Weber State).O is for offense. Sam Houston State ranks No. 1 in the FCS in points per game and offensive yards per game, while Eastern Washington is No. 2 and 3, respectively, and Jacksonville State is No. 3 and 2, respectively.P is for the Palmetto State. South Carolina has a mini-tournament going on in the first two rounds as Charleston Southern visits Wofford before the winner heads to The Citadel.Q is for questionable calls. Its guaranteed a fan base will second-guess the head coach after a loss.R is for rematches. Avoiding them, that is, after last years field drew criticism for t many rematches. San Diego at Cal Poly is a first-round rematch (Cal Poly won 38-16 on Sept. 10), but there are only two possibilities in the second round (New Hampshire-James Madison and Wofford-The Citadel).S is for seeded teams. North Dakota State, Eastern Washington, Jacksonville State, James Madison, Sam Houston State, The Citadel, North Dakota and South Dakota State are thankful to first-round byes on Thanksgiving weekend.T is for turnovers. They decide so many games. Lehigh has committed the fewest turnovers (eight) in the FCS and North Dakota has the most takeaways (20) and best turnover margin (plus-17) in the field.U is for upsets. Yeah, bring em on.V is for coach Chris Villarrial. After Saint Francis didnt have a winning season in its first 22 years on the Division I level, the Red Flash have posted back-to-back winning records under a seventh-year coach who has them in the playoffs for the first time. North Dakota is the other first-time qualifier, but it didnt join Division I until 2008.W is for wide receivers. The field includes the top seven in the FCS in receiving yards: Saint Francis Kamron Lewis (1,349), Eastern Washingtons Cper Kupp (1,297), Samfords Karel Hamilton (1,242) South Dakota States Jake Wieneke (1,204) and Dallas Goedert (1,146), Richmonds Brian Brown (1,179) and Lehighs Troy Pelletier (1,140).X is for X-factors. Special teams, senior leadership, injuries, weather, luck -- theyre all included.Y is for Youngstown State. The four-time national champion in the 1990s is back in the field for the first time since 2006, ending the longest drought among the 22 teams that were in the field previously.Z is for bye-zon. North Dakota State pronounces its Bison nickname as bye-zon. Yeah, theyre the five-time reigning national champs, they call the shots. ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Besucherzähler
Heute waren 199 Gäste online.

Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 5840 Themen und 24610 Beiträge.

Heute waren 0 Mitglieder Online:

Xobor Xobor Forum Software
Einfach ein eigenes Forum erstellen