o place for Frank Lampard and thats how it shoul

in Laberecke 20.08.2019 02:13
von lebaobei123 | 302 Beiträge

Former Rutgers University ftball player Eric LeGrand, whose recovery from a paralyzing injury suffered during a game has become a unifying and inspirational story for the schl, was announced Tuesday as one of its commencement speakers, a day after he said the offer to do so was rescinded "for political reasons." The announcement from Rutgers President Robert Barchi, who said there was a "miscommunication" about the speeches, is the latest development in a strange saga surrounding the May 18 ceremony. The New Jersey university initially announced that former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice would give the keynote address, and schl officials maintained that she would not be "disinvited" as some students and faculty protested her selection, including holding a sit-in last week. They objected largely because of her role in deciding the U.S. would go to war in Iraq. But on Saturday, Rice withdrew from the speech. On Monday, former New Jersey Gov. Tom Kean, who was one of the chairmen of the Sept. 11 Commission, was named as the new keynote speaker. Hours after that announcement, LeGrand tweeted that he had been offered the chance to give the speech, but that the university rescinded the offer "for political reasons." Rutgers spokesman Greg Trevor said when university officials spoke with LeGrand, they may have given the impression that he was to be the keynote speaker, when that was not the plan. LeGrand will speak before Kean at the ceremony. LeGrand did not return a message from The Associated Press seeking further details. He told NJ.com that athletic director Julie Hermann told him on Monday that Rutgers had decided to go with another speaker. Trevor said he would lk into that assertion. "I just want an explanation," LeGrand told the website. "I wish somebody would have given me a call tonight and explained to me why. Then I can understand, but dont just leave me hanging." In his statement Tuesday afternn, Barchi said LeGrand had been invited as one of multiple speakers. "It was never our intention that Eric would be the only speaker. We have resolved that miscommunication and are delighted to have him participate," Barchi said. "Eric holds a special place in the hearts of the class of 2014 and the entire university community. We are thrilled that he will be joining us on stage to make this special occasion ever more memorable." LeGrand also will receive a degree at the ceremony. He was paralyzed from the neck down while making a tackle on a kickoff during a 2010 game against Army. He now is able to breathe on his own and stand upright with the help of a metal frame. LeGrand is known mostly for his hopeful outlk. He has appeared on the cover of Sports Illustrated, helped with Rutgers ftball broadcasts, become a motivational speaker and signed a symbolic contract with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers when they were coached by his former Rutgers coach Greg Schiano. Last fall, LeGrand became the first ftball player to have his number retired by the university. LeGrand told the Home News Tribune of East Brunswick that he was mapping out what he would say in a speech. "I was just going to give inspirational words about how they should attack life," he said. "All the things Ive learned so far." kiestore.com/Steelers-Juju-Smith-Schuster-Jersey/" target="_blank">JuJu Smith-Schuster Youth Jersey . - A week after a late-game debacle on defence, the Pittsburgh Steelers showed they can finish. kiestore.com/Steelers-Lynn-Swann-Jersey/" target="_blank">Lynn Swann Womens Jersey . - The Green Bay Packers got back to work on Friday without star quarterback Aaron Rodgers. kiestore.com/Steelers-Jack-Butler-Jersey/.S" target="_blank">http://www.steelersrkiestore.com/Steel...utler-Jersey/.S. - Nova Scotias Mary Fay guaranteed at least one more match and a shot at the Canadian junior curling championships final on home ice. kiestore.com/Steelers-Kevin-Greene-Jersey/" target="_blank">Kevin Greene Womens Jersey . Pikul Khueanpet scored early in the second half and Kanjana Sungngoen made it 2-0 in the 65th minute of the playoff. Tuyet Dong narrowed the margin with goal four minutes from time. The win gave Thailand fifth place at the Asian Cup and the last of the continents qualifying spots for the 2015 Womens World Cup in Canada. kiestore.com/Steelers-Alejandro-Villanueva-Jersey/" target="_blank">Alejandro Villanueva Womens Jersey . Jurrjens signed a minor league contract with Cincinnati in May, and was 2-3 with a 4.46 ERA at Triple-A Louisville. He has a 53-37 record with a 3.63 ERA in seven major league seasons, including five with Atlanta.It is easy to dismiss the importance of a small international break held in the middle of the most important stretch of the league season. For some in England, it is just a distraction away from the main event known as the Barclays Premier League. Many "fans" gathered in front of their television to watch their nation play on Wednesday and hoped none of the players who play for their clubs would get hurt. It is a challenge for English ftball fans to put their country first over their clubs at the best of times. At the start of March? A big ask. Even those who were behind the game may have been falling asleep into their beverage of choice, as England, once again, showed a real lack of intensity and tempo. The biggest moment of the first half came when Jack Wilshere had his ft trod on by Denmark and Liverpl defender Daniel Agger and, as he lay down on the ground crying, Arsenal fans, even more than England fans, held their breaths. Wilshere would play on, as would England, in a game played at a leisurely pace in front of many empty red seats at Wembley. In truth, you could have removed the fans, the stands and the cameras and it was nothing more than a glorified training game for most. Not for Roy Hodgson. Being the final match of the season for the England boss before he gathers his players on May 13 to begin his preparation for Brazil, it was an opportunity to see some of his players work together. However, even the most staunch supporter of such a fixture will have left Wembley on Wednesday night wondering just what conclusions Hodgson will have come up with from the match. This was as dull as it gets. Hodgson visits whichever Premier League games he likes throughout the season and, without question, he will be able to find out more about the players in those systems than one he attempted to put together once all the players reported on Sunday. The game against Denmark, which England won 1-0, saw Hodgson deploy a 4-3-3 and give a number of young players an opportunity to represent their country. There was little else that could be taken from it, really.I had made my mind up about most of my England final 23 before the game and nothing swayed me from it against Denmark. Goalkeepers Strangely, Hodgson named four goalkeepers inside his 30-man squad for the game against Denmark. Joe Hart started and is the undisputed number one and whichever two players are chosen to back him up are, likely, not that important. Defenders Arguably the biggest decision of all from Hodgsons starting XI was Ashley Cole starting at left back. The veteran has started three Premier League games in four months for Chelsea and doesnt lk like finding his way back into Jose Mourinhos side any time sn. However, unlike many England players, it is hard to think of Cole playing prly t often for England. In a back four short on international tournament experience, Cole shouldnt just go to Brazil, but should start the first game against Italy ahead of Leighton Baines. Luke Shaw, who came on for Cole at half-time, is a fine player whose time will come. Coles Chelsea team-mate Gary Cahill is a lock for Brazil, as is Phil Jagielka, who was injured for the Denmark game. Chris Smalling, his replacement, will also go as he can play centrally or at right back. Likewise, Phil Jones can also be used in those positions, as well as midfield, once he returns to full fitness. The one omission is Kyle Walker, also injured for the game against Denmark, who will likely be selected by Hodgson, as well. Walker, though, wouldnt make my squad as he is a liability defensively, loses concentration often and can be exposed in Hodgsons system that requires his team to defend deep and use width in attack. Glen Johnson used to fall into this category but has made strides under Brendan Rodgers and is clearly a player who thrives when his club manager gives him confidence. Midfielders The discussion about the midfield shape cannot be had without defining Wayne Rneys role in this team. It is one thing for Rney to play off the striker for Manchester United against many average Premier League teams, but it is quite another to have him play that role against Italy and Uruguay at the World Cup. He just doesnt defend well enough and Andrea Pirlo at Euro 2012 should have effectively retired Rney in that position for England. Rney, then, will play centrally up front on his own, like he did against Denmark and behinnd him will sit a midfield central three.dddddddddddd Captain Steven Gerrard and Wilshere are two automatic starters if they remain fit. For me, the biggest decision comes who plays alongside them. Jordan Henderson got the nod against Denmark and deserved the spot based on his recent impressive displays for Liverpl. That will be enough to get him on the plane to Brazil, but it will be a surprise to see him start the first match against Italy. Gerrard is in terrific form. He starts transitions well and is an excellent distributor from deep areas, but he will likely need a more defensive-minded player alongside him to protect against counter attacks and allow Wilshere more freedom to get forward. This is where Michael Carrick should be used, although it seems to be easy pickings at the moment to knock the Manchester United midfielder. In fact, a national newspaper ran a poll this week and 70 per cent of their readers felt Carrick shouldnt go to Brazil. To ignore a ball treasurer like Carrick would be naïve for England, but it is not like they havent done it before. When England are chasing a game, they will have the opportunity to bring on more attacking players like Henderson, Ross Barkley, Adam Lallana or Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain inside that midfield three. All of these players can make a difference to a game and can bring some tempo and pace when opponents tire. Lallana changed the game against Denmark and England fans will be hoping he can do what David Platt did in 1990, bringing quality and an appreciation of space off the bench. Oxlade-Chamberlain, like James Milner, who is excellent at defending a flank, can play centrally or out wide and both should be picked on quality alone, but also bring much-needed versatility. This all means no place for Frank Lampard and thats how it should be. A World Cup spot should never be given because you were a gd servant for years and big games have now passed him by. Forwards This leaves us with five spots. Daniel Sturridge and Raheem Sterling played either side of Wayne Rney against Denmark. Sturridge scored the games only goal and will likely start Englands first game following a terrific season for Liverpl. Playing him out wide, in a 4-3-3 had its challenges early with his wing being exposed when he drifted centrally, but with three central midfielders that should be ironed out and, at least, he is doing it on the left with a full back who is likely to stay deeper (more than Johnson, that is). Alongside Sturridge, Rney and Danny Welbeck will both go to Brazil. Hodgson will need to pick one other centre forward who can bring something different to the attack physically, hold the ball up and be a menace to defenders if the game situation warrants it. Rickie Lambert is the odds-on favourite for this spot, but I would take Andy Carroll if he is healthy. It wasnt that long ago that he caused Sweden no end of problems at Euro 2012 and, if he can play well for West Ham in the next ten games, he would get my pick. This leaves one spot. Hodgson could (and probably will) select another defender in Walker, but he may also lean towards another striker like Jermain Defoe or another player in a wide area while withdrawing a central midfielder, such as Sterling, Aaron Lennon, Ashley Young or Andros Townsend. Sterling aside, the rest have had difficult seasons with their clubs. I would probably give the nod to Townsend because he has played well for England and brings pace but, unlike the other 22 spots, this is the one where the next two months will tell me who should go. Whoever is selected, it appears England are a long way away from making a serious run at the knockout stages based on their latest performance. My squad: Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Manchester City), Fraser Forster (Celtic) and John Ruddy (Norwich) Defenders: Glen Johnson (Liverpl), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea) and Leighton Baines (Everton) Midfielders: Steven Gerrard (Liverpl), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal), Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Jordan Henderson (Liverpl), Ross Barkley (Everton), Adam Lallana (Southampton), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal) and James Milner (Manchester City) Forwards: Wayne Rney (Manchester United), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpl), Danny Welbeck (Manchester United), Andy Carroll (West Ham) and Andros Townsend (Tottenham Hotspur) ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Besucherzähler
Heute waren 479 Gäste online.

Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 5840 Themen und 24610 Beiträge.

Heute waren 0 Mitglieder Online:

Xobor Xobor Forum Software
Einfach ein eigenes Forum erstellen