oe Louis Arena another chance to ask for au

in Bewerbung 09.08.2019 16:15
von dasg234 | 1.004 Beiträge

I filled out my ballots for the International Boxing Hall of Fame this week and sent them back to the Canastota, New York, shrine to make sure it was postmarked before the Monday deadline for electors to vote on the class of 2016. The results will be announced in December and the 28th annual induction ceremonies will take place in June.I received a ballot for each of the four categories up for election this year -- modern fighters (meaning those whose last fight came no earlier than 1989 and have not boxed for at least five years), older-timers, observers and non-participants.The modern category offers 30 candidates but only three newcomers each year. Electors can vote for five but three will be elected.Id prefer for the Hall of Fame to use a percentage threshold like the 75 percent a candidate needs to be elected to the National Baseball Hall of Fame. The boxing Hall of Fame does not do it that way. It simply enshrines the top three vote-getters. That means somebody could, in theory, receive a small percentage of votes and still be elected and I dont think thats right. Conversely, there could be several worthy candidates who might rack up a high percentage of votes but only the top three would make it. Vote totals are also not revealed so we never know the breakdown.It is an imperfect system to be sure but, thankfully, this year was an easy call as opposed to last year when the three newcomers were Hector Camacho Sr., Yuri Arbachakov and Sot Chitalada. None of them were automatic in my view, even though I did vote for Camacho.I voted for three candidates this year, which is how I usually roll. My perspective is that since only three will be elected no matter how many votes others get (unless there is a tie) I go with my top three each year and hope for the best.This year I went with the three newcomers to the ballot, one of the easiest to fill out in years. The great warriors who received my check marks were Evander Holyfield, Marco Antonio Barrera and the late Johnny Tapia, all three of whom I was fortunate enough to cover during their careers.That means I did not vote for any of the 27 holdovers: Arbachakov, Paulie Ayala, Nigel Benn, Chitalada, Donald Curry, Chris Eubank, Leo Gamez, Genaro Hernandez, Julian Jackson, Santos Laciar, Rocky Lockridge, Miguel Happy Lora, James Buddy McGirt, Henry Maske, Darius Michalczewski, Sung-Kil Mn, Michael Mrer, Orzubek Gussie Nazarov, Sven Ottke, Vinny Pazienza, Gilberto Roman, Gianfranco Rosi, Samuel Serrano, Meldrick Taylor, Fernando Vargas, Wilfredo Vazquez Sr. and Ratanapol Sor Vorapin.Holyfield (44-10-2, 29 KOs) is about as much of a no-brainer to vote for as anyone. Hes the only man to win a piece of the heavyweight title four times. He was the undisputed heavyweight champion. Undisputed cruiserweight champion (first ever to do that). Olympic bronze medalist in 1984 (robbed badly in the semifinals).Holyfield was also one of the great action fighters in history and was involved in many of the biggest fights of his era. He upset Mike Tyson twice, had an epic trilogy with Riddick Bowe, beat former heavyweight champs Larry Holmes and George Foreman (albeit aging versions), avenged a loss to Michael Mrer and also beat notable foes such as Ray Mercer, Hasim Rahman and Dwight Muhammad Qawi twice, including in a 15-rounder to win his first world title at cruiserweight in 1986 in probably the greatest fight in division history.Barrera (67-7, 44 KOs) was also a no-brainer. He will go down as one of the greatest Mexican fighters in history after winning world titles in three divisions (junior featherweight, featherweight and junior lightweight) and engaging in some of the most epic fights of his time.He won the legendary trilogy with Erik Morales 2-1, beat Kennedy McKinney in a junior featherweight title defense that is one of the best fights of the 1990s, beat Tapia, Ayala and Kevin Kelley and, in his crowning moment, outpointed (embarrassed, really) then-undefeated Naseem Hamed in a huge upset.Tapia (59-5-2, 30 KOs), who won world titles at junior bantamweight (where he was at his best), bantamweight and featherweight, wasnt the no-brainer pick of Holyfield and Barrera, but he was still an easy vote.Given all of the problems he had in his t-short life, it is amazing Tapia accomplished what he did. He began his career 45-0-2, had a four-year reign as a junior bantamweight champion and made 13 defenses. He will go down as one of the two greatest junior bantamweights in history, along with Khaosai Galaxy. Tapias biggest win came against bitter Albuquerque, New Mexico, rival Danny Romero to unify 115-pound world titles in arguably the most important fight in division history. His two close decision losses to Ayala in fight of the year candidates easily could have gone his way. When Tapia is inevitably elected I am just going to be sad he wont be there to enjoy the moment.In the old-timer category, electors can vote for five but only one will be elected. This is a tough one for me. I am the first to admit that my knowledge of these fighters is not nearly as all-encompassing as it is of the modern boxers. I read up on the candidates, go over their records and seek counsel from those whose opinions I value. The wisdom of Hall of Fame matchmaker/promoter/historian Russell Peltz, in particular, was invaluable. Based on my studying and respect for Peltzs opinions, I voted for light heavyweight Tiger Jack Fox (139-23-12, 90 KOs), who fought from 1928 to 1950, and welterweight and middleweight contender Eddie Bker (66-5-8, 34 KOs), who boxed from 1935 to 1944.Fox, whom Ring magazine rated as one of the top 100 punchers in history, was one of the many black fighters who struggled to get marquee fights because of his color. Although he never won a world title (black fighters in his day were often denied the opportunity), he did beat Hall of Famers such as Jersey Joe Walcott (twice, once by knockout), Maxie Rosenblm (going 1-1-1) and Lou Brouillard.Bker, known as Black Dynamite, was another black fighter denied opportunities because of his color. He never got to fight for a world title, but he knocked out the great Hall of Famer Archie Mre in their third fight (after twice battling him to a draw) and also defeated Hall of Famers Holman Williams (going 1-1-1) and Lloyd Marshall.In the observer category, I could pick five although two will be elected. I voted for three and hope for a tie so they each get in. I voted for one holdover on the 30-person ballot, former longtime Showtime blow-by-blow announcer Steve Albert, and both newcomers: Barry Tompkins and Steve Farhd, broadcast partners on Showtimes ShoBox: The New Generation series. But Tompkins made his HOF case years ago as the voice of HBO boxing calling the biggest fights of the 1980s (go watch Leonard-Hagler or Pryor-Arguello I, for example, to hear how great he is). Farhd, a friend of mine for many years, is a top-notch analyst, writer and historian. He has worked every single round of every single fight since ShoBox debuted in 2001 and served as editor-in-chief of Ring from 1989 to 1997. He should be a lock.From the 35-person non-participant ballot -- three will be elected -- I voted for one man: famed ring announcer Jimmy Lennon Sr., who died in 1992. His son, Jimmy Lennon Jr., one of todays most famous ring announcers, learned the craft from his father and was elected to the Hall of Fame in 2013. It is preposterous that his father is not already in. Lennon Sr. should have been elected years ago and his absence is a travesty that needs to be corrected.Wholesale Air Max Nz .ca NHL Power Rankings for the second straight week, ahead of the Pittsburgh Penguins and Colorado Avalanche. Air Max Nz Sale .ca lk back at each of the Top 10 stories of 2013. Today, we lk back at Boston Strong - a citys recovery from tragedy. http://www.airmaxnz.com/ . LUCIE, Fla. Air Max Nz . PETERSBURG, Fla. Discount Air Max Nz . That gave fans outside Joe Louis Arena another chance to ask for autographs from the 19-year-old whose stardom in the NHL has arrived earlier than most expected.BARCELONA, Spain -- Barcelona says that Neymar wont rejoin the team until after he plays in Brazils upcoming World Cup qualifiers.That means that Neymar will miss Sundays Spanish league match at Athletic Bilbao.Brazil plays Ecuador in Quito on Sept. 1 and five days later it hosts Colombia in Manaus.On Saturday, Neymar scored the deccisive penalty in a shtout to help Brazil beat Germany for its first Olympic gold medal in mens ftball.ddddddddddddDespite the strikers absence, Barcelona has won all three of its matches this season. ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Besucherzähler
Heute waren 333 Gäste online.

Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 5840 Themen und 24610 Beiträge.

Heute waren 0 Mitglieder Online:

Xobor Xobor Forum Software
Einfach ein eigenes Forum erstellen