d Well definitely be looking to get those two wins next week.Eng

in Spam Area!!! 18.07.2019 05:19
von mary123 | 2.355 Beiträge

For the first time since 1904, when mashies, stymies and niblicks were as familiar as birdies, backspins and the 19th hole, golf is set to return to the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.The absence of several top players in the mens tournament scheduled for Aug. 11-14 might keep adrenaline flow well below Ryder Cup levels. An untested Olympic course in a logistically challenged city might even make the experience downright uncomfortable.But the man who endures to win gold within the Reserva de Marapendi in Barra da Tijuca will have perseverance in common with George S. Lyon, the reigning Olympic golf champion for the past 112 years.Lyon had taken up golf just eight years before the 1904 Olympics. The 46-year-old Canadian survived a lengthy format, even longer odds and tumultuous weather conditions on the final day in St. Louis to defeat Chicago native H. Chandler Egan.The grueling tournament consisted of 12 rounds in six days -- starting with 36 holes of stroke play that pared the field of more than 70 golfers (all but three of whom were Americans) to a 32-player bracket for match play. Lyon and Egan were the last men standing for the 36-hole finale on Sept. 24. With help from the next days St. Louis Post-Dispatch, excerpted in italics, heres how that final day unfolded at Glen Echo Country Club:A large crowd, including many of the most prominent golf players in the West, witnessed the match. The crowd followed the players in spite of the heavy rain which fell when the match opened in the morning and during part of the afternn. ... When Lyon drove the ball from the first tee at 110 oclock yesterday morning, rain was falling in torrents. A strong northwest wind was blowing, rendering long drives difficult.Lyon was an all-around athlete growing up in the Toronto area, competing in baseball, rugby, ftball, lawn bowling, curling and track and field, even setting a national record in the pole vault at age 18. As he grew older, he turned his attention to cricket and set a national record in that sport.Lyon was 38 years old and selling insurance for a living when a friend invited him to play golf for the first time. He was quickly hked, and the next year he finished runner-up at the Canadian Amateur Championships, an event he would later win eight times.Egan was 26 years younger than Lyon, but came to the Olympics as the more decorated golfer, having won the 1904 U.S. Amateur title.Lyon, however, was more mentally prepared for the Olympics than Egan, and the Canadians steady play allowed him to win four of the first five holes in the final match.Egan didnt come through with a clutch shot until No. 6, pulling out his mashie, a club somewhat comparable to a midrange iron in todays bag.Both had much difficulty in making the sixth hole. Lyon drove twenty-five yards into the rough, and, after considerable trouble getting it out, landed twenty feet short. Egan used his mashie to lift his third over pls of water and landed near the cups edge.On No. 7, Lyon was stymied by Egan, literally.In those days, a golfer wasnt required to mark his ball if it blocked the path of another. The situation was called a stymie, which was finally eliminated from the sport in 1952. Egan didnt attempt to stymie Lyon, but when his approach nearly holed, the ball stopped directly in the path of Lyons ball. Lyon was forced to putt around Egans ball and lost the hole.Egan continued to chip away at Lyons lead, scratching back to within 1-down after No. 13, but he could never wrestle the lead from the Canadian and sat 1-down with four holes to play.Thats when Egans driver let him down again.What chance Egan had at the thirty-third, he threw away by pulling his drive into the pond and losing a stroke. He had a twenty-ft putt to make on the green for a half, but the ball rimmed the cup. Lyon won the hole and was then up two with three to go.Lyon began to celebrate on the ensuing hole after Egan hked his drive in the rough and then launched his second shot into a clump of trees. Lyon, meanwhile, was flawless on both shots, putting his second 3 feet from the cup. He eventually tapped in to win the hole and capture the match 3 and 2.The newspaper report was hard on Egan, misspelling his name as Eagen in one sub-headline and shouting American Champions Nervousness and Adverse Weather Conditions Were Largely Responsible for the Result in another.Nervousness, causing weak driving and erratic putting, is responsible for Egans defeat. Lyon, hardened by years of cricket before he tk up golf, was more at ease, though his style was less polished than that of Egan.Despite those observations, readers would get the scp directly from Lyon and Egan, who each penned sidebars that ran alongside the main story. Lyon unabashedly claimed he simply wanted the victory more.I was compelled to play my hardest to win. I attribute my success principally to my long drives. I outdrove Egan, and it was mainly through this that I won.Egan, meanwhile, apologized for his bland effort and then explained he became burnt-out long before the grueling tournament.Candidly speaking, I would have been surprised very much if I had won. I was stale from overplaying. It was even surprising to me that I captured the national championship, as at that time also I was overgolfed.Egan would re-energize his mind and body and win the U.S. Amateur again in 1905, but he mostly disappeared from the national scene after finishing runner-up at the same event in 1909. He re-emerged as a respected golf course designer, mostly in Oregon and Washington, before dying of pneumonia at age 51.Lyon, meanwhile, lost in the finals of the 1906 U.S. Amateur before traveling to London to defend his title at the 1908 Olympic Games. The golf competition was scuttled at the last minute, as representatives from England and Scotland could not agree on the format.Most of the medals handed out at the 1904 Olympics were lost over the years (there was also a team competition, with all three medals going to U.S. squads), but the silver belonging to Egan was located last fall in Chagrin Falls, Ohio.Egans only child, Eleanor E. Everett, had died there in 2012 at the age of 101, and one of her sons, Morris Everett Jr., discovered the silver medal, along with a team gold medal, in separate cases within a medal box at the bottom of a bkcase at her house.Lyons medal has never been found, but his legacy lives on in many forms. He was posthumously inducted into Canadas Sports Hall of Fame in 1955 and the Canadian Golf Hall of Fame in 1971.He was known for shting his age throughout his 70s. He died at 79 in 1938. Who would have guessed his reign as Olympic golf champion would last another 78 years? Joe Thomas Youth Jersey . Bjorn, who had a 36-hole total of 8-under 134, made a testing six-ft putt to save par on the 16th and a birdie on the 17th before bogeying the final hole after a misjudged approach shot. American Kevin Streelman was in second place after shting a 69. Austin Seibert Womens Jersey . Pedro scored from a pass by Lionel Messi in the 33rd minute and added two more goals in the 47th and 72nd after Valdes saved his second penalty in four days following his stop in Wednesdays 4-0 over Ajax in the Champions League. http://www.brownsauthenticproshop.com/Youth-Denzel-Ward-Browns-Jersey/ . -- The proud fathers huddled near the Dallas Stars dressing rm, smiling, laughing and telling stories while wearing replica green sweaters of their sons team. Odell Beckham Jr Youth Jersey . President of baseball operations Larry Beinfest was fired Friday after 12 years with the Marlins. The move came as the team neared the end of its third consecutive last-place season in the NL East. Bernie Kosar Browns Jersey .com) - The Calgary Flames aim to bounce back from their first regulation home loss of the campaign on Friday night when they host a Detroit Red Wings club that they swept in three meetings a season ago.Notts County Ladies duo Ellen White and Amy Turner have been recalled to England’s squad for the Euro qualification games against Belgium and Bosnia-Herzegovina. The pair are in contention to face Belgium at Rotherhams New York Stadium on April 8, followed by the trip to Zenica four days later, after neither was part of the squad that travelled to the inaugural SheBelieves Cup in the USA earlier this month.Birmingham City midfielder Jo Potter also returns to the squad but Arsenal new-girl Jodie Taylor and Manchester Citys Isobel Christiansen miss out due to injury. England have won their first two qualifying matches - scoring a total of nine goals without conceding - as they bid to reach EURO2017 in the Netherlands and midfielder Jill Scott says the Lionesses are keen to maintain their 100 per cent record.Weve got a team that is full of winners, she told Sky Sports. Some games are easier than others but we want to win all of our games convincingly.We want to push on as a team, get better, and develop gd habits on the field.dddddddddddd Well definitely be lking to get those two wins next week.England squad in full: Goalkeepers: Karen Bardsley (Manchester City), Siobhan Chamberlain (Liverpl), Carly Telford (Notts County)Defenders: Laura Bassett (Notts County), Lucy Bronze (Manchester City), Gilly Flaherty (Chelsea), Alex Greenwd (Liverpl), Steph Houghton (Manchester City), Alex Scott (Arsenal), Casey Stoney (Arsenal), Demi Stokes (Manchester City), Amy Turner (Notts County)Midfielders: Katie Chapman (Chelsea), Jordan Nobbs (Arsenal), Jo Potter (Birmingham City), Jill Scott (Manchester City), Fara Williams (Arsenal)Forwards: Eniola Aluko (Chelsea), Karen Carney (Chelsea), Gemma Davison (Chelsea), Toni Duggan (Manchester City), Fran Kirby (Chelsea), Ellen White (Notts County) Also See: SportsWomen Latest Show News Latest News SportsWomen Video ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Besucherzähler
Heute waren 89 Gäste online.

Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 5840 Themen und 24610 Beiträge.

Heute waren 0 Mitglieder Online:

Xobor Xobor Forum Software
Einfach ein eigenes Forum erstellen