understanding that we do have -- performing -

in Mitglieder 06.06.2019 09:51
von mary123 | 2.355 Beiträge

There are two very different kinds of shrugs that athletes can give when asked about how their season is unfolding. One is a shrug of frustration, a gesture that says theres no satisfying explanation for whats gone wrong.The other, though, is a happy shrug that says, Theres really no magic formula for why were playing very well. Were just executing.We all know the Los Angeles Sparks have had more than a few seasons of unpleasant shrugging, where they couldnt pinpoint exactly why a team that clearly had talent was inconsistent or sometimes even floundered.Now, though, any shrugs the Sparks might give are accompanied by smiles. They can detail all the reasons things have gone so well in whats been a 20-2 season thus far. But its ultimately more a mindset that has taken hold -- one that is not defined as much by the specific things the Sparks are doing well, but the general sense that they now expect them.As they close out the pre-Olympics part of the season this week -- with games Tuesday at Indiana (ESPN2, 8 p.m. ET) and at Washington on Friday -- the Sparks sound confident that theyll have a strong finish now and then be able to pick up where they left off when the season resumes in late August after a monthlong break for the Summer Games.I think that what separates us this year as opposed to other years, said Sparks guard Kristi Toliver, is that weve always had the talent, but I think everybodys been willing to sacrifice a little bit of themselves. When you do that, great things happen. And thats just been the case this season. We just have a really gd team, and we know how to play the game.Yes, the Sparks on Sunday dealt with one of their rare disappointments this year when they fell 91-74 at Atlanta. Had Los Angeles won, a 21-1 mark would have been the best start for a WNBA season. Instead, the Sparks share that distinction with the now-defunct Houston Comets at 20-2.How upsetting was that loss? Guard Alana Beard said the Sparks really put no emphasis on the record. And that while it was tough to lose a game, Los Angeles wasnt overly concerned about it from a historical context.It was never a focus of ours, Beard said. The record means nothing if you dont have a championship at the end.Toliver echoed that, saying that the Dream seemed more motivated to prevent L.A. from getting the mark than the Sparks were motivated to set it. When it was over, though, Toliver did acknowledge feeling worse about it than she probably expected to.I think its unfortunate that we were not able to capitalize on such a special opportunity, Toliver said. But in the big picture, we have a lot of work to do, and we know we have to get better. If it takes that kind of sting to really make changes, then I think ultimately it will be worth it.Shes speaking sort of rhetorically, though. Because there really arent many big changes that need to be made for a team that remains the pacesetter for the WNBA. The Sparks are averaging 85.7 points, which is third-best in the league. And they are holding their opponents to 75.1 points, which is best in the WNBA.Forward Nneka Ogwumike is on the short list of league MVP candidates, averaging 19.5 points and 8.7 rebounds, while shting a WNBA-best 71.4 percent from the field. Candace Parker is also having a very big season, averaging 16.4 points, 7.4 rebounds and 5.1 assists.Did not being chosen for the U.S. Olympic team give Ogwumike and Parker a little extra motivation this season? It almost certainly has, but that isnt a bad thing. Neither player is dwelling on it, but can use it as an understandable bit of fuel.Toliver is the Sparks third-leading scorer at 14.1, and shes shting 45 percent from 3-point range. And in his second season in L.A., Brian Agler has a full buy-in from his team. Again, that has not always been the case with the Sparks and their coaches.But it is now, and the Spark have no intention of letting any of that slide.We have a mature team, and they understand what its going to take on both ends of the flr, Toliver said. I think Coach has done a really gd job of preaching the little things to us. We attack each day with just wanting to get better. We dont take wins for granted; we know how hard it is to get them in this league. Raptors Jerseys China . According to a report from the Winnipeg Free Press, the Bombers will name Acting GM Kyle Walters to the post full time. Authentic Custom Raptors Jersey . Fred Couples, captain of the U.S. side, put it all into perspective. "We know whos in charge," he said. http://www.customraptorsjersey.com/ . The players spoke Jan. 13 during a Major League Baseball Players Association conference call after Rodriguez sued the union and Major League Baseball to overturn an arbitrators decision suspending him for the 2014 season and post-season. Custom Raptors T-shirts . McCarthy, a player who played some games in the second tier for Wigan at the start of this season, would go on to shine inside Evertons midfield, outplaying the man he was brought in to replace, on one of the grandest stages in English ftball. On Saturday, it was fitting that Manchester Uniteds most recent dagger into the chest was delivered by Frenchman Yohan Cabaye, a wonderfully gifted central midfielder who put on an outstanding effort for Newcastle at Old Trafford. Custom Raptors Jersey China . - The Washington Redskins have cut defensive lineman Adam Carriker and punter Sav Rocca. ATLANTA -- Pittsburgh Pirates manager Clint Hurdle is sitting Andrew McCutchen for three straight days.McCutchen, the 2013 NL MVP, says hes OK with the decision even if he doesnt agree with it. The outfielder sat out Pittsburghs victory Tuesday night over Atlanta and will not be in the lineup the next two nights because of a season-long slump.I have to first address myself before I can think about addressing anything else, McCutchen told The Associated Press. I know if I was going out and playing the best ball that I know I can play that I wouldnt be in this position.They wouldnt be in the position of having to make those decisions, either.McCutchen, a five-time All-Star and four-time Silver Slugger, hit .298 in his first seven seasons with Pittsburgh. In 97 games this year, he has a .241 average and is on pace for a career high in strikeouts.After watching McCutchen go 1-for-12 in a three-game series last weekend at Milwaukee, Hurdle called McCutchen into his office Sunday to tell him that he would not be in the lineup for a three-game series against the Braves.Hes tried a lot of things, Hurdle said in his pregame talk with reporters. This mans fought, shown up, done early work, late work, side work, video work. In situations like this where Ive seen it happen with gd players, you just unplug em. The managers got to do it. Im just asking him to sign off on it.He obviously has a lot of fight in him and wants to continue. But its like hitting refresh button.Unless a game against the Braves goes extra innings, Hurdle wants to give McCutchen four straight days of rest. The Pirates were off Monday.Thats the tough pill to swallow for me personally, McCutchen told The AP. Wanting to be in the lineup and them feeling that this would be a gd time for me to unwind, to chill, to get my head right -- the commpetitive side of me is like, No, Im gd.dddddddddddd Im fine. Im going to perform and do my job.Theyre like, For your own sake, this is what we feel.Matt Joyce was in left field for the second straight night. Starling Marte was in center field, Gregory Polanco in right.McCutchen says it was tough accepting the trades that shipped out Francisco Liriano, Pittsburghs Opening Day starter, to Toronto for Drew Hutchison and closer Mark Melancon to Washington for Felipe Rivero and a prospect.The Pirates began Wednesday three games out in the NL wild-card standings. Theyve been to the playoffs the past three years, so McCutchen didnt necessarily want to make big roster changes at the trade deadline.Youre going to feel one way about certain things because you have teammates, you have friends and you hate to lose anybody, he said. Hate to see anybody go. Those are your brothers.McCutchen insisted that he trusts the Pirates front office to keep the club competitive.Understanding the business, understanding that we do have -- performing -- and they have a job as well, he said. Thats the main thing, to give us the team to produce. Just as its hard for us to understand what they do, Im sure its vice versa with them.Hurdle hopes McCutchen will benefit from the time off. He plans to put him back in the lineup Friday at home against Cincinnati.I dont know what it feels like to have the résumé he has and go through the challenges hes had this year, Hurdle said. What I shared with him is, I want to lk you in the eyes and do what I can do just to help you out. Not to make it easier, not to make it softer. I cant do that. But lets [do] this because we have tried just about everything else. ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Besucherzähler
Heute waren 166 Gäste online.

Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 5840 Themen und 24610 Beiträge.

Heute waren 0 Mitglieder Online:

Xobor Xobor Forum Software
Einfach ein eigenes Forum erstellen