tart of their own. "We need to play to our identity," said MacLean. "We have to tr

in Bewerbung 10.05.2019 06:44
von dasg234 | 1.004 Beiträge

Shaken from his sleep, Maíra Liguoris father had barely opened his eyes as she shouted for him to get out of bed. It was Christmas morning in Atibaia, Brazil, and an 8-year-old Liguori had beaten Santa Claus to the drop-off.Stuffed between a wall and a sofa in the living rm was a bicycle in a big cardboard box.The sun was only just started shining through the curtains, but she wanted to ride it. Her father, Matheus, rose from his slumber and assembled the bike for Liguori, planting the seeds for what would become a lifelong passion.That bicycle was my first love, Liguori says. People would joke that I was head, shoulders, knees and pedals.Liguori, now the director for Think Olga, a Brazilian NGO aimed at challenging gender stereotypes and empowering women through information, rode her bicycle everywhere as a girl.As she grew older, the sense of fun and freedom that riding symbolized in her life was buried under the pressures of being a teenager. Being drenched in sweat after an afternn of bicycling with the boys was no longer normal.She moved away to study at the Pontifical Catholic University of Sao Paulo, where she earned a bachelors degree in journalism in 2002. The city of 11 million people was less conducive to cycling, and by then Liguori was struggling with body image issues and insomnia. The advertisements in the streets and the trainers in her gym told her getting fit would help her feel beautiful and strong and that it would make her doubts about her body disappear.Through endless yoga and spin classes, swimming and running, the uneasiness in the pit of Liguoris stomach remained. The treadmills and yoga mats became instruments of an oppressive environment. But Liguori wasnt working out to find a boyfriend or fit into a bikini. She just longed for the peace she felt as a little girl racing down streets on her yellow bike.Sport is t big to only be about fitness and beauty, Liguori says. I exercise because I love my body, not because I hate it -- not because it is a problem that needs fixing.At the age of 27, Liguori and her husband, Ricardo Kenski, moved away to Barcelona, Spain, where she worked in marketing research while finishing a masters degrees in business communications and anthropology.One day, she was on her way to the university but didnt have money for the subway, so she decided to rent a public bike on the street. As sn as she pedaled off and felt the wind hit her face, the memories came flding back. She rushed home that night and told her husband: I will never stop riding again.At Think Olga, we always say we work with a burning passion inside of us, says Juliana de Faria, founder and one of Liguoris closest friends. Maíra embodies that passion perfectly.***In August, Liguori received confirmation that she would become the fifth Brazilian woman to participate in the U.S. Department of State and espnW Global Sports Mentoring Program (GSMP). With the aim of growing the impact of her work with Olga Esporte Club, Liguori was partnered with Julie Eddleman, global client partner at Ggle.Eddleman previously mentored three Brazilian women in the program and has a long resume of accomplishments as a former marketing director and mentor at Proctor & Gamble. Its been her mission to help Liguori condense her ideas and create a long-term strategy that will make Olga Esporte Club, which is the sports branch of Think Olga, financially and programmatically sustainable.You hear these legends about Brazilians having this incredible passion and this zest for life, and its been absolutely true with all of my mentees, Eddleman says. Im here to offer a little inspiration, a lot of connection and a way for them to take those steps toward a long-term, strategic vision.Thanks to her mentor, Liguori has met with leaders at both P&G and Ggle, as well as innovative thinkers such as David Knox, chief marketing officer of the digital innovation firm Rockfish, and Kash Shaikh, chief executive officer of Besomebody, a mobile app that connects people with similar passions, which earned Shaikh a spot on the popular ABC television show Shark Tank.Liguori calls the GSMP one of the deepest experiences of her life and knows it will lead her forward in spreading the idea of sport for empowerment and social change across Brazil.Before I was living my life trying to make things happen, Liguori says. Now I am changing my life to come to the U.S., meet new women, engage in something I never wouldve dreamed of before, in order to make my dreams with Olga Esporte Clube come to life.Her husband, one of her biggest supporters, is a witness to the impact the program has made in Liguoris life. The two have been together for three World Cups and one Olympics, he says. Fourteen years, if youre counting.A producer for HBO Latin America, Kenski realizes the importance of his wifes work as he deals with questions from others during her time in the U.S.Sometimes even the women at work try to provoke me with questions about feminism, Kenski says. Its bizarre. Men will say to me, How are you changing (their 15-month old son) Toms diapers? Its not a radical thing to change diapers, man.Ultimately for Liguori it comes down to that basic element: awareness. Whether it happens when a woman clicks on a link to one of Think Olgas articles, or when a man challenges the stereotypes that women should lk and act a certain way at work, or when a little girl rides her bicycle freely down an empty neighborhd street -- when the light bulb goes off, there is no way to stop the movement.Editors note: Brian Canever is the digital content manager for the Center for Sport, Peace, & Society at the University of Tennessee, and works closely with the GSMP participants.Salomon Shoes Canada Online . For the Wild it was their first win of the season and they now have a record of 1-1-2 while the Jets fall to 2-2. Jets start a six game home stand Friday with another divisional game, home to the Dallas Stars. Salomon Shoes Outlet Canada . -- In a span of seven Washington Redskins offensive plays, Justin Tuck sacked Robert Griffin III four times. http://www.salomonsalecanada.com/ . -- Kyrie Irvings last-minute 3-pointer helped seal another victory for Cleveland -- and the Cavaliers longest winning streak since LeBron James left. Salomon Sale Canada . -- Mike Smith never saw his first NHL goal go in. Salomon Shoes Canada Sale . After slipping from the summit during the week, the Gunners overcame struggling Crystal Palace 2-0 on Sunday thanks to Alex Oxlade-Chamberlains second-half brace.OTTAWA -- It might be a lot to ask, but the Ottawa Senators are hopeful Jason Spezza will be just what they need to get back into their playoff series with Pittsburgh. Spezza, who hasnt played since January 27 after undergoing back surgery for a herniated disc, will draw into Ottawas lineup Sunday for Game 3 of the Eastern Conference semifinal series that the Penguins lead 2-0. "Im excited to have a chance to play again," said Spezza. "I feel ready to play." The 29-year-old will immediately add depth to a struggling offence and power play. "Were excited about the skill that he brings back to our team and were lking forward to it," said Senators coach Paul MacLean. "We certainly feel that hes going to give us some help on the power play for sure. He can help us quite a bit there." The Senators power play has gone 1-for-7 through the first two games and its clear they would benefit from Spezzas abilities. Spezzas minutes will be monitored and MacLean eluded to the fact the amount could be higher or lower depending on the amount of power play time the Senators have. Spezza is expected to line up with Milan Michalek and possibly Colin Greening. Having Spezza back in the lineup gives the Senators offensive support, but almost more important is the emotional leverage it gives the team. "Hes such a skilled playmaker that if youre on the ice with him you know to keep your stick on the ice because he finds a way to get the puck to you," said Zack Smith. "When youre playing with guys like that youre just more prone to go to the net and go to those areas and be more confident." While hes ready emotionally and physically Spezza acknowledges that nothing hes done can truly compare to the speed and physicality of a playoff game. However, hes confident the work hes put in has prepared him for his return, and that what he may lack in being game-ready will be made up by excitement and anticipation. "Im going to try to use my excitement and try to make it a positive and not be worried about the negative." Spezza acknowledged timing could be the biggest adjustment when he hits the ice, but is hopeful it comes back pretty quick. "Basically Im just going to go out and work hard and be smart," said Spezza.dddddddddddd "I expect to play well. "I wouldnt play unless I felt I could help the team and contribute." Spezza had two goals and three assists in just five games during the regular season. Strangely enough Sunday marks the 10 year anniversary of Spezzas playoff debut where he had a goal and an assist in a 3-1 win for the Senators over the New Jersey Devils. The Penguins know Spezza makes Ottawa a better team and while his return wont alter their game plan they will be aware of his presence. "Its going to be important to be in his face right away and make sure he doesnt have time and space," said Pittsburghs Kris Letang. "Hes got gd hands so he can make you lk really bad so if youre in his face and have a gd gap you have a better chance of having success against him." The Senators are undefeated at Scotiabank Place in the playoffs this year and are hopeful to take advantage of home ice and a supportive crowd. "We play well at home so our expectation is to play well," said MacLean. "Our expectation is to give ourselves a chance to win. Its up to us to make this a playoff series and we need to win a game to make it a series." In the first two games the Penguins have easily been the better team in the early part of the game and the Senators would love nothing more than to be able to come out hard and steal the momentum with a strong start of their own. "We need to play to our identity," said MacLean. "We have to try and establish our game first. What hurt us in the first two games is not getting off to a (gd) start and were down in the first three minutes of both games and catch up hockey is losing hockey." With the return of Spezza and the home crowd behind them the Penguins know the Senators will be at their best. "Theyre going to be desperate and we know this is going to be the toughest test yet," said Sidney Crosby. "We need to start well, but just a play a complete game and give ourselves a chance." Despite being pulled after allowing three goals in Fridays game Craig Anderson will get the start for Sundays game. ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Besucherzähler
Heute waren 428 Gäste online.

Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 5840 Themen und 24610 Beiträge.

Heute waren 0 Mitglieder Online:

Xobor Xobor Forum Software
Einfach ein eigenes Forum erstellen