not that its an overly sore point.No bad taste,

in Bewerbung 20.04.2019 09:21
von mary123 | 2.355 Beiträge

At our first editorial meeting to discuss ideas for Indias 500th Test, inevitably the thought strayed to the future and temporarily the md turned sombre. It had taken just over eight decades for India to reach 500, but how many more to the 1,000th? Will there be a 1,000th?But it was apparent in a moment how absurd and incongruous that thought was. It was an occasion not for foreboding, but for gratitude. For as long as it has existed, Test cricket has been a reminder that higher and lasting pleasure can be derived from engagement and absorption, from anticipation and waiting, and from enjoying the journey as much as the destination.And it is more relevant and resonant than ever before in a world that is prone to living in moments. Few other sports are as sharply defined by singular moments as cricket, but its the sum of those moments that makes Test cricket the grandest, the deepest and the most profound of sporting experiences. Once you make the connection, it usually lasts for life.Mine started nearly four decades ago, with a small transistor radio clutched to my ear in the early winter mornings. India were playing the Bobby Simpson-led, Kerry Packer-depleted Australia, and the series, swinging one way and the other, ended in an epic six-day Test, with India falling short of a 493-run target by only 47 runs to concede the series 3-2.I was yet to hold a bat, and beyond the short Films Division news reels that played in movie theatres, I had seen no other cricket. I read up a short bk by Vijay Merchant on the basics of the game, and it might have been an aunt who filled me up with some background, but the rest the mind imagined. I can swear I had a fairly graphic image of Sunil Gavaskars forward-defensive shot even before I watched him play.The colour of the game has changed immeasurably in the last four decades. The World Cup arrived in the 80s; Sachin Tendulkar ruled the heart in the 90s when India only won at home; the Test team truly arrived in the first decade of the new century; and in the last 10 years, the IPL has rewritten the rules of the game, both of how it is played and watched. But even more significantly, from the transistor radio in the 70s, Indians have at their command home-entertainment options that are no longer limited to even to the 1,700-odd television channels available.For Test cricket, this challenge also brings an opportunity. There is no doubt that the base has shrunk and will shrink further. But a niche is not necessarily an obscure corner. It can be distinct, high-profile and aspirational. It can be clutter-breaking, the rarer pleasure requiring fans to spend the commodity considered the most scarce: time. The faithful will be rewarded, and they will enlist more. In many ways, it is already a miracle that a sport lasting 40 hours a game has lasted 140 years. It will endure.It is perhaps no more than a coincidence, but what can be a bigger celebration of Indias 500th Test than the fact that it marks the beginning of Indias biggest home Test season in memory. Fault them for whatever else, BCCI officials, current and those just out of office, have shown a remarkable commitment to Test cricket. Thirteen is a significant number. With 103 Tests, the previous decade was Indias most prolific, and this decade, with 66 Tests already, is well on its way to match or exceed it. And if India stay the course, the 1,000th could come in double-quick time. Institutionalising a home season would be a progressive use of the BCCIs clout.It is also pertinent that Test cricket is going to smaller towns, with as many as six new Test venues being added. Players occasionally grumble about smaller venues that lack the attractions of the big cities, but arousing fan interest is a greater imperative. Test cricket needs spectators in the grounds, and it is worth taking the chance on smaller venues, which now have excellent playing facilities. It is now incumbent on the state associations to make fans feel welcome. They could start by making daily tickets easily available instead of the take-it-or-leave-it season tickets. Clean toilets and drinking water would be nice t. Love cant forever be one-sided, and it can no longer be taken for granted.?But it matters as much, if not more, that the players care. And in Virat Kohli, India have at the helm a cricketer not merely of considerable skills but with a passion to match. Kohli is a man of the times, a hero and an icon that the fans of his generation identify with. And he brings to Test cricket both the edge of his personality and the syntax of the shorter formats, in which he first earned his fame. He respects the challenges of Test cricket, but plays it on his own terms. His rage not only fuels the engine of his young team, it also fires public imagination.The 500th is a gd reason for celebrating the past, and we will do so on these pages through the course of this Test. But there is much to lk forward to t. The best way to celebrate this season would be to turn up at the grounds, tune in to the action on TV, or simply log on to our sites. We will be doing our bit, ball by ball. If you think Test cricket is worthy, its time to show it. Cheap Jerseys Online . This should be celebrated because it will not always be this way. With the amount of money given to players by their clubs these days, it is a wonder that so many of those teams allow the sport to continue to take away many of their assets so they can play for a different team in the middle of their season. Cheap NFL Jerseys China ., and Rudi Swiegers of Kipling, Sask., tk sixth spot on Saturday in pairs at the NHK Trophy ISU Grand Prix figure skating competition. http://www.jerseysnfl.net/ . Rob Manfred, baseballs chief operating officer, testified last week during the grievance filed by the players union to overturn Rodriguezs 211-game suspension. A person familiar with the hearing, speaking on condition of anonymity, told The Associated Press on Saturday that Manfred testified the sport wasnt concerned whether Bosch distributed performance-enhancing drugs to minors because MLBs interest was his relationship with players under investigation. Wholesale Jerseys Free Shipping . Galatasaray said in a statement on its website Monday that Mancini signed a three-year contract and will be paid 3.5 million euros for the upcoming season, with his salary upped to 4. Cheap Jerseys Wholesale . Datsyuk will miss Tuesdays game against New Jersey and could be sidelined longer, while Cleary will likely miss at least the next three games. Its been an injury-plagued season for Datsyuk, who has suited up for just 39 games. Fremantle veteran Matthew Pavlich has revealed he offered to quit earlier this season, only to be talked out of it by coach Ross Lyon and ftball operations manager Chris Bond.Pavlich offered to walk away after the shock round-five loss to Carlton, which left the Dockers nursing a 0-5 record and no hope of winning the premiership.Lyon and Bond were keen for Pavlich to play on, and the 34-year-old committed to seeing the season out.We obviously werent going that well and its certainly not in my character to step out and check out, Pavlich said.Its not in my DNA to flick the bails.But I said to them, Is it time for some other younger kids to play? And if thats the case lets shake hands and walk away.But amongst us all we committed to play on and were going to stick to that, and thats certainly to see the season out.Pavlich will notch his 350-game milestone in next weeks home clash with Sydney.The six-time All-Australian quashed speculation he would retire after reaching the milestone, saying he was now fully committed to playing out the season.Instead, Pavlich will be rested from this weeks trek to the Gold Coast, and the round 22 clash with GWS in Sydney.Im not entirely sure where some of the other scuttllebutt has come from.dddddddddddd But really keen to play the season out and see that through, Pavlich said.Pavlich will end his decorated career as one of the greatest players to have ever featured in VFL/AFL ranks.But hell leave without a premiership - not that its an overly sore point.No bad taste, Pavlich replied when asked about missing out on a flag.I mean everyone wants to win a premiership, thats the ultimate goal.Unfortunately it wont be the case. But Ive tried to never define myself by results, Im not necessarily defined by ftball.Ultimately the test for me will be as a father and a husband, and hopefully thats been pretty gd up until this point, and I continue to do so.Pavlich has been a solid rather than spectacular contributor for the Dockers this season.In 14 games, the veteran forward has bted 24 goals and averaged 13 possessions.Its a far cry from what he produced in his prime, but Pavlich said it was just part of getting older.The Dockers currently sit 16th on the table with a 3-13 record, but Pavlich is optimistic they can bounce back quickly next year. ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Besucherzähler
Heute waren 171 Gäste online.

Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 5840 Themen und 24610 Beiträge.

Heute waren 0 Mitglieder Online:

Xobor Xobor Forum Software
Einfach ein eigenes Forum erstellen